Anyone ever played the "The Inferno" trumpet solo? Ideas please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Feb 21, 2012.

1. centerofaTONEment

centerofaTONEment New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    In wind ensemble we are playing this piece and I have the trumpet 1 part. My band director claims I'm not loud enough, but it's a muted solo. And instead of giving her the focused, bold sound with good tone, I assume she wants me to give her an uncontrolled, disgusting sound. As we all know mute work must be done without sacrificing tone. I've listened to multiple recordings and I've taken the soloists' interpretations and internalized them. None of of them reach the dynamic of blastissimo.

I'm done venting.

-Band director is a clarinet player by the way

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Play it with your mute a little looser.... let out more of the trumpet sound.
    Also, the obvious... keep your bell up, point it at the director not the ground... and not into your stand.

record a rehearsal from the front of the room and see what the balance is. Maybe the reeds are blowing you away.

3. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Just blast her out the darn room if she wan'ts it louder...It might actually sound better over the group. You might not hear what she hears from being in a different acoustic position.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    What brand mute are you using? I haven't heard the piece but I am assuming it is a straight mute. Some are substantially louder and more piercing than others.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Exactly my thoughts too -- I looked up some playing notes for Inferno (from Garden of Earthly Delights) and it just says "muted" but not how...

--bumblebee