Anyone Experience(d) Otitis Media with Effusion?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Jun 4, 2012.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Anyone here experience(d) serous otitis media with effusion? I ask because due to my OME I won't be looking forward to trumpet lessons as my recurring symptoms since April may require at some point a tonsillectomy and tubes in both ears but currently I'm on more meds to continue treatment as my issue isn't acute.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As a pediatrician, I have much experience with chronic effusions. Not sure the tonsillectomy will be of help in preventing future ear infections, but getting the tubes is a great idea. Good luck, and with the pressure relieved, you will play more comfortably. Now here is the issue, with the conductive hearing loss from the hole in your TM, you will likely hear yourself differently. You will most likely be able to adapt to this.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi bamajazzlady. I got your PM about this thread.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Keep us posted on your progress. I'm sure the information will help other trumpet players who may have to go through the same procedure.

Gary's the pediatrician, so he sees a lot of this. But let me clarify his use of the term "conductive" hearing. Think of it as the transmission of sound through objects (like your eardrum). Any condition that alters these objects, can impact the transmission of sound waves. This is usually contrasted with "sensorineural" hearing, which is the transduction of sound through your nerves.

Mike

4. bamajazzlady

May 16, 2011
    I'm due for a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy on 6/28. According to my consultation with my ENT 6/14 ear tubes aren't needed at moment.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi,

Speak to your ENT about "velopharyngeal insufficiency" after your surgery. This is a possibility after having your adenoids removed.

Here is an old post of mine on this topic. Maybe others can share their experiences.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/incontinent-pallete-61407.html#post560792

Best of luck with the surgery. Lots of ice cream and jello afterwards. :D

Mike

6. bamajazzlady

May 16, 2011
    My surgeries were performed today and they were one day surgeries as in outpatient and all went well!

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Glad to hear things went well.