Anyone familar with Jupiter Trumpet???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Dec 28, 2008.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok, I just bought a lightly used Jupiter student model off Ebay for $51. I want to check out their build quality and this seemed like the easiest and best way to find out. Other then a wrinkle in the bell the trumpet looks like it has never been used it shows no signs of surface wear at all. I want to try their XO Professional model once I get my chops and technique back up to snuff. Since I am not familar with their products build quality I figured this student trumpet would be a good way to get a look at how they are built in terms of fit and finish and attention to detail. I am sure givent he nature of the company that they would probably not send me one to play test! The price though is very appealing to someone that does not perform with their instrument and only does it as a hobby. I was also thinking that at some point my Son might ask for a new trumpet that is of proffesional quality. Since I only really respect build quality and sound quality and am not brand loyal price is a big factor to me!

If anyone is familar with the sound of the their XO pro line and the real world durability and such I would love to hear about your experinces. I really value first hand real world experince over marketing hype and dealer's and manufactures web pages etc........

It is a 600M that I got for $51 and I think it has the Moneal valves but I wish it had been the model that comes with Stainless Steel valves. I could not believe that Jupiter offers Stainless Steel valves standard on their entry level student trumpet for lower maintence??? They also offer Nickle Silver and Moneal valves. Their Pro models come with two different tuneing slides and you get two set's of buttons and you get standard bottom caps and heavy bottom caps oh and their is option of standard or revervesd leadpipe. Of course none of that means anything if they do not sound great and hold up well etc.....

I used the search functiona nd turned nothing up under Jupiter Trumpet so hopeful someone will have some good info!

2. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Jupiter makes a wide range of horns. They are not considered the top end company, but they do produce some decent student/intermediate horns. I recently played one of their higher series, the one with a reversed leadpipe and such. It was a good horn, but nothing special. I have found that peoples reactions are that they are really only decent horns throughout the levels of production. However, for $51, it's pretty hard to lose anything, you can get a lot worse for $51.:cool:

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Their student bumblebee model tubas are excellent. I have a Jupiter Pocket trumpet and it sucks.

4. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    That is good to know Brekelefuw because I want a Tuba very badly. I addition to trumpet I played baritone and tuba in school. WHile Trumpet was my passion and first love Tuba is what got me a Scholarship to a private Catholic School. Also after recently hearing some Jazz Tuba work I am actualy comeing to appreciate the Tuba a bitmore. As a young man I did it becasue my Band Teacher asked me to and I would have crawled across broken glass for her. I was considering once I am finacialy well off again buying a new Tuba. I have looked on Ebay for some time now and most of the Tuba's on their would require so much dent work in places I do not knowhow to get to that by the time I paid someone to fix what I am not able to I would have been better off just buying a cheap tuba or baritone. Bear in mind that while at some point I will have to break down and spend big money on my boy's for pro level gear I am never going to do more then play in my home or at family or church get togethers. So for me even a basic student grade Tuba and Baritone would be just fine. I also want to expose my boys to as many brass instruments as I can so I plan on getting Mellophone,Flugel,French Horn etc.......as time goes buy. When they get older they can have anything they want or if I have Grand Children that want to play they already have them. I am usualy against Chineese made instruments but Jupiter seems to be a huge steep up from your run of the mill Chi-Com cheap instruments. Obviously I do not expect Bach Strad like sound etc.. I was hopeing though that their XO line of Pro models would be at least close to what one would expect from other pro-models at a better price point.

Worse case I can always replicate your $50 trumpet experiment and see how far up the line I can take the sound quality of my $50 trumpet.LOL Like you am haveing fun palying around. When I finish one I will have to post some pic.'s and maybe an audio file.

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I played the new (at the time) Jupiter student horn about two years ago. I thought they were pretty good playing horns, and seemed to be put together well. I don't know how they hold up over time. If the horn you got is one of the current models, it's probably the same one I played, but I don't remember the model numbers.

6. OrionXO

OrionXO New Friend

Dec 29, 2008
    Indiana
    I bought a Jupiter XO Tribune and preferred the tone quality over the Bach Strads that I played with before I bought it. It may have just been me, but I really like the feel of it. The valves are incredibly smooth, but I also use Spacefiller synthetic oil and it works great with the trumpet. I've grown to love it now, but I've played a few others (like this gorgeous Kanstul I immediately fell in love with..) and sometimes wish I would've bought an all gold as opposed to the silver. Regardless, I like it an awful lot.

7. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Long time no see everyone !

My experience with Jupiter has mainly to do with their reed intruments.
    From my own encounters, the older Jupiters are the ones to shy away from. The newer stuff seems to be fairly well made and definitely shows some real solid improvement from their earlier stuff. The Artist series is pretty good , and IMO very competitive. As was mentioned earlier, they do make a wide range of products, and from what I've seen, they don't enjoy very good resale. So if you want to try them, do some model research and opt for one of their better lines. My experience on Ebay shows me that you can often get a used upper line Jupiter for around the same price as their used student lines. There doesn't seem to be alot of demand for their used stuff, which means a good bargain can be had if one does their homework. I believe a lot of the poor resale has to do with Jupiter having lots of model changes, and different models designations over the years. This leads to confusion with the consumer who has no real idea of what Jupiter model is what, and where it falls in their model lineup.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I wouldn't call lump Jupiter in with those companies. They have been around for a long time and make fine instruments now. I consider them in with any other popular manufacturer.

9. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    THe price was a huge factor her. It looks like it just rolled off the assembly line other then that wrinkle in the bell. I kid you not their no sign of wear from usage on this outside of the bell. I liked the fact that it has a wrinkle inthe bell because in my mind I can now justify replaceing things and modifing as I go!!!LOL I know it mightnot make sense to some but a damaged trumpet screams out to be rebuilt and maybe better then new! A nice vintage on with nothing wrong want's to be left alone and played for what it is!!! I know it is silly to think like that. If I had a Bach Strad their is no way I would add heavy braceing or do anything like that to it. Sure I might change out leadpipes but I would never mess with the bell or braceing etc..... A $51 Jupiter though is far game!!! ALso since all of my trumpets are vintage student models with one vintage pro model I kind of wanted to see what a run of the mill student trumpet of todays vintage would be like to work on and sound like.

10. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    My experience with the Jupiter company has been good. I am a middle school band director. My school has purchased Jupiter tubas and euphoniums. My students have purchased trumpets, flutes, clarinets, and saxes. I have had no problems at all with their beginner woodwinds. In general, all of their student line instruments seem to be quite superior to any other brand of beginner horns I've seen.

I have had problems with their monel valves. The nickel are better, and the stainless are terrific. The Jupiter company is really good about taking care of customers. If you have a good local dealer, they can probably get you stainless valves for that horn at little or no cost. Jupiter has sent me nickel valves for all my low brass, and stainless valves for any trumpet that had problems, free of charge.

I have played quite a few of the model 600 trumpets. I love the way they blow. They are very free blowing, but have a nice core to the sound. The 1st and 3rd kickers typically work as well as any pro horn.