Anyone familiar with Concert and Contest Collection by H. Voxman

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jan 14, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Gentlemen,
    I know a student who is looking for college audition pieces. The students playing ability is probably a few years away from the standard "H" pieces.
    Would these pieces quality and acceptable works?

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    no comments?

codyb226 likes this.
  3. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Are those the solos with star names: Antares, Spica, etc? They are typically middle school solos here in New York. If played well, they are a nice addition to one's portfolio.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Yes, There are some nice solos in that collection. "L'Allegr0" by Koepke, "Petie Piece Concertante" by balay,"Concertino" by Ostransky, "Morceau de Concours" by Alary, Elegie" by Duquesne,and "Serenade" by Bohme are the ones I like to work with with students. Music Minus One has this book wirh a CD play-a-long.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was thinking that they are a little on the easier skill side but better a good performance on an easier piece than the alternative, yes?
    Thanks for the help.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The difficulty level would depend on what kind of school are they auditioning for. Are they going to major in music? While they would be easy for a conservatory audition, It is better to play really well then to play something hard badly. The teachers are looking for potential.