Anyone got a spare?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RAK, Aug 11, 2009.

1. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Got a new member in our church band. He's not rich so he cant afford a trumpet. Hes borrowing my trumpet now. Don't know what i should do since I'm not that rich. He's actually starting to play good. Our church isn't that big. Lots of poor people in it. Also in need of trombone or trombone repair. I got a fellow trombone player in our band too. I got him a king trombone for 80 dollars on craigslist. Then it fell apart. should i solder it. I can solder a bit. did it before on my RC stuff. I think if i try It will make it worse. Right now its duct tape.

I was thinking Of buying this for Joe the trumpet player. http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FRANK-H...ents?hash=item20accd291c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It might cost too much to fix it tho. Any suggestions. If the price goes up then I'm not taking it. Its 21 dollars now.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

3. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
  4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Yes
    its the goodwill :-)

5. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    OK I'll check it out.

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I have purchased horns from Goodwill. They are honest and send the item but they are not knowledgeable about trumpets so their descriptions are brief and do not explain any real problems. I bought a Blessing cornet for $60 and it was a nice horn. If you pay attention to the photos, you can generally get a sense of how good it is.

I briefly went through there current list. Based on what is there today, they fall into 3 general categories:
    (1) Horns with obscure brands names or no brand at all. Some of these may be in OK condition but without knowing more about them, it is a real crap shoot. Only buy one if you are prepared to turn it into an ornament if it does not work.
    (2) Horns that are known-brand and look OK. It appears that most of these are going to sell for a price that is higher than you are prepared to pay. You could keep watching, though and see if one escapes the gaze of the crowd. (It appears that this site has gained attention lately as I see a lot more bids and higher prices than I used to see.)
    (3) Ones that are "cosmetically challenged" but may work and probably won't go too high. I have put links to two cornets in this category. It looks like both would play as-is if your friend is willing to play a cornet. They could be "prettied up" later on if you want.
    shopgoodwill.com - #5105704 - Old Trumpet - 8/13/2009 1:46:16 PM
    shopgoodwill.com - #5105271 - Vintage(?) Bundy Trumpet in Hard Case - 8/14/2009 5:00:00 PM

7. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Thanks for the tips ComeBackKid. I'll be careful on what I'll bid on. I'll watch the site closely.

8. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
  9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I believe one may be on the way......