Anyone have Allen Vizzuti's high note book?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Does anyone have Allen Vizzuti's book called High Notes, and has it improved your range at all? I've been doing lip slurs, scales two octaves, playing low, and just plain playing high daily, but it hasn't done too much. This leads to another question, My high C is pretty strong, and my D is fairly strong, it can be heard but it isn't ear piercing. But I can't play any higher than that. Maybe a D# but I can't play an E. Is this a sign of too much pressure?

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    No one here can answer your question over the internet without hearing and seeing you play. Why not find a good private teacher and work with them. I am also from Indiana and know some teachers in the state. If you would tell me where you are possibly I could recommend someone.

3. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    I think if you search you will find quite a few threads with very useful advice about extending your range here on TM. Personally my range grew without me focusing on it when my teacher gave me a daily routine involving lip and mthpce buzzing, pedal excercises and lots of Clarke exercises. After a few months I was playing comfortably up to G above high C without forcing it.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have it and it didn't help. Not because it isn't any good, because I don't have the time and patience to learn it his way. The best high note routine I know of is Clarke technical studies up an octave at pianissimo.

5. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Robin,

My teacher, the late Lloyd Geisler, once told me that the Clarke book was the only "high note" method that I needed. He would have me take Clarke #2 higher than written softly just as you suggest. It works!

Roy

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Those exercizes are truly unlimited in their simplicity and usefulness. Even my beginners are required to have it! If I was limited to one book on a desert island, I wouldn't have to take any as I have it essentially memorized.

7. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    He has a 3 book collection "Method Book" which is excellent. Its published by Alfred Publishing. These books are full of great exercises....nothing fancy....but the stuff that really works over the long term.