Anyone know about this Bryant-Newell Coronet?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by wittyalias, Mar 27, 2010.

1. wittyalias

wittyalias New Friend

Mar 26, 2010
    I am looking for any information I can get about this. I have everything in the case including the cleaning rod, lock key, and extra mouthpiece. I saw the other thread on a Bryant-Newell coronet and was wondering if anyone could identify this model. Thanks!
    It has the number 1797 printed on it in multiple locations

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Welcome to the Forum! All I know is from Horn-u-copia Willard Bryant was established in Detroit in 1895. He and Newell were partners from 1903-30. Willard Bryant Music House was the name from 1920-30. Obviously, you have a fine example of a shepherd's crook cornet of that era. There is one photo of a Bryant Triple X silver cornet in the cornet link, and a couple of others in the Manufacturer's gallery (cornet)under the Bryant name. There are also a couple of B-N cornets in the B-N Gallery. The extra tuning slide is probably used to change from Bb-A? Not sure. Does it have HP or LP stamped on it?
    The book of Detroiters: a ... - Google Books Here is an interesting paragraph bio of Willard Bryant. Looks like he had an interesting career in professional cornetting, Detroit Conservatory of Music Teacher, National Guard Bands, manufacturer of band instruments since 1897, etc. This info is in the Biographical Dictionary of leading living Men of the City of Detroit, second edition, 1914.

You have seen the other thread, in which I contributed the HUC info.

Fine Arts Talk Here is a snippet about a Millard model valve trombone made by Bryant-Newell.

3. wittyalias

wittyalias New Friend

Mar 26, 2010
    This is fascinating. Thank you for your reply.

4. COLBPH

COLBPH New Friend

Dec 29, 2008
    Do you still have this horn? I've been looking for one because of a family connection. My wife's maiden name was Newell and her mother's maiden name was Bryant. I've been trying to get a hold of one of their horns for some time.

5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Price just doubled...

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I am beginning to think our Members are DUMB...

A 5 year old thread, where the OP has only posted twice in all that time, and we have another member from 2008, COLBPH, who decides to make a second post. You really do not expect to hear from him do you? He's been waiting for 5 years to hear from you!

This is just constipation at it's worst.... Dumb & Dumber returns.

Not even amusing, just plain dumb.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    On reflection, I am sorry COLBPH for my out-burst.

Best to check EBay or visit flea markets, you may get lucky