anyone looking for value quotes for ebay

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Seaaggie, May 28, 2010.

1. Seaaggie

Seaaggie New Friend

May 3, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I think we should direct any fishing threads to this website.

usedprice.com

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think the best medicine is to avoid mentioning E'bay.

The smart get lucky sometimes and the unsmart get taken advantage of sometimes. It is very difficult to protect yourself and seldom an opportunity to play before you pay.

If price is your only concern, then I guess you can get what you deserve.

All in all, you are taking a chance, so only shop E'bay if you have enough money left over for a plan B.

3. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    ive bought many trumperting things of ebay including my current trumpet my bach omega, a rebuilt C trumpet about 10-15 MP, gig bag, mutes etc, and i have no problems! you just have to look and be carefull sometimes your obvously not gonna get a 3k trumpet for a couple of hundred!

4. Seaaggie

Seaaggie New Friend

May 3, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I think you guys may have misunderstood me. I have had really good luck with ebay. I I have been on ebay since the late 90's. I understand how it works and how things have changed. I do all my research first then buy. I was just stating in the original thread that all the fishing post that we get from non players that just want to find the value of their horn to sell it on ebay should be directed to that website.

5. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Value quotes for eBay are easy - search completed auctions. The only real "value" something has is what someone is willing to pay for it, after all is said and done.

I checked out that site - totally useless IMHO. I wanted to get an idea of how accurate it is, so I checked the horns that I currently own:

Martin Committees - they only list 1980 and newer models - useless.
    Olds - only models listed are from the 1990's(!), 20 years after the company went out of business - worse than useless.
    Taylor - company not listed at all - useless.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I believe that eBay works only if you can afford to lose whatever you bid. Yes you can be (and I have been) lucky. But my bottom line was always to do my research and expect (plan for), and be able to afford, the worst outcome. And then there are the scammers who want your identity.