Anyone out there with a CHI1001???

Discussion in 'Horns' started by drac, Mar 16, 2004.

1. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    I just got one of these horns in the mail for trial and I am having some issues with it. First of all it seems very difficult to have a focused sound and the upper register seemd very sharp. I wonder what other people's mouthpiece configurations are who own this horn. I am also trying a 1500 which does not have this problem. Who knows maybe it's just me but something seems really wrong here. Any help would be appreciated....

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi there,

I have a Chicago MLP and get along with it fine. I use a GR 3HC*.

Not knowing your background as a player makes advice difficult. In my limited experience, players used to ML set ups with just that bit more resistance playing with a mp that has a fairly open backbore tend to overblow more open trumpets and everything above the staff ends up sharp..this may apply to you, I don't know what your set up is. If that's it try a mp thats a little tighter, if you can't do that just relax..don't try to fill the whole horn with air and listen lots.

Big bore horns are great but they have their own compromises. It may also explain why the 1500 works better.

I'm sure some of the other more experienced guys have their own take on it. Hope this helps.

Regards

Trevor

3. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    You are right, I am used to the ML bores and this my first crack at a large bore horn. Withou the back pressure I think I am doing a lot of odd things to create the resistance. I can feel my throat tightening!!! Maybe I am in over my head!! lol. So any advice for how to acclimate to a large bore horn?? Thanks for the reply......

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi,

Look at balancing resistance with the mouthpiece and don't approach it like you HAVE to fill the whole thing up. Its great when it suits what you're playing but most of the time you need to sit back on it...most of all relax and have fun.

Regards

Trevor

PS Just saw the last bit...good old long notes, pp and ff. If you decide to go back to a ML bore you'll murder it!!

5. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    Well.....and I am such a big fan of murder......lol

6. fuzzyjon79

fuzzyjon79 New Friend

Feb 5, 2004
    Nashville, TN

I initially tried a 1001, and it played well, but I had some issues with the tuning slide not being expanded enough... so the dealer I was working with sent me a 1070 to play while I had the 1001 sent off for repair.. when I got the 1070... I was blown away by how it played... it is the best playing horn I have ever played in my life! I never really gave it a chance in the beginning because I thought the .470 bore would "eat my lunch"... but I love this horn!!!!! Needless to say the dealer let me keep the 1070 and I am returning the 1001. :)

7. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    What dealer are you going through, just outta curiousity, seeing as I'm in College Station.

8. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    I went through woodwindbrasswind for the trial. There website is: wwbw.com

They just charge shipping and a restocking fee of $5 or $10 bucks!! Beats 15%!!!

Jon

9. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

On a Kanstul horn there is no reason to pay any restocking fee if you deal with the right person. I have never charged a fee and offer a Lifetime Warranty on every Kanstul instrument. And when you deal with me I will see to it personally that you get the Kanstul horn that is right for you. Not something the dealer wants to move.

To the Horn-Kanstul all the way!

Jack Kanstul