Anyone owns the KZT 1520?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by MrV, Feb 3, 2004.

1. MrV

MrV New Friend

Jan 27, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    I'm seriously considering buying the KZT 1520 piccolo... yes with three bells and in three keys G/A/Bb.

Anyone on this forum owns one and is willing to share experiences/recommendations? Did you have any problems with the valves when you first got it? Did you have to do some special treatment in order for the valves to work properly? How are the valves now? What do you use it mostly for?
    Have you try it in G? Is it in tune up and down the scale?
    How well does it perform playing the Brandenburg?

Thanks in advance for you comments

:wink:

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I played a kanstul piccolo once, it wasnt mine it belonged to a guy I met marching oddly enough, I dont even know his name, and I dont know if I tried the same model your talking about but it was a 4 valver and the valves were great, the action on them was better than that of my bach. I dont know if it was the same model though, I hope Ive helped a little

3. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

Mr. V,

Bernie Adelstein played it and said it SOARS!!! It is setting new standards for a piccolo trumpet. I keep them in stock if you want to give it a try. Comes with my Lifetime Warranty. Call 480-753-3468 or email [email protected]

To the new standard in piccolo trumpets-ZKT 1520 it Sooooars>>>> :p

Jack Kanstul

4. imjazd1

imjazd1 New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    I have owned a 1520 for about four years and absolutely LOVE it. It plays well (and well in tune) in all three keys and of course being Kanstul-made the craftsmanship is superb!

I chose this horn after trying several Schilkes..also very good horns, but I liked the seperate set-ups with the Kanstul. The Kanstul also plays very open and doesn't have the overly bright sound that you sometimes find with a pic.

I've never had the pleasure of dealing with Jack, but I would definitely call him and try one out before you buy anything else.
    Good luck.

5. regularsopguy

regularsopguy New Friend

Feb 16, 2004
    I play the 920 (not too often) I like it because it was A LOT LESS than the 1520 and because it came with a case.

6. MrV

MrV New Friend

Jan 27, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    imjazd1 thanks for your replying,

1)
    Did you had Bob Reeves work on your 1520 valves("Valve Alignment")?
    Reason I asked about the valve alignment... I've found out that the valve alignment makes a HUGE difference on any horn. It just makes them play better, bigger sound, easy blowing and in tune, and more control on the horn. BTW: all of my trumpets had Bob Reeves Valve Alignment done.

2)
    What are you using it for? Have you try to the play the Branderburg #2 on/either Bb or G? How did it perform?

Please answer the questions with as much as detail as possible. Thanks!

I really feel I need to play it before I make the decision to buy it. But of course your input/experiences are valuable to me when I try the horn.

7. riffdawg2000

riffdawg2000 Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    What's Wrong??

Mr. V ...

What is wrong with the Stomvi Elite Piccolo you already have??

8. imjazd1

imjazd1 New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    >>>1) Did you had Bob Reeves work on your 1520 valves("Valve Alignment")?

No, I didn't have anything done to the valves because I just didn't feel they needed it. I don't think it would hurt anything or make it play differently enough that I would no longer like it (I've had Reeves alignments on other horns with good results), but I really don't feel like I'm fighting any aspects of the horn when I'm playing it. The pic issues I have are unfortunately MINE and seem to be the same on any pic I play.

2)
    >>What are you using it for? Have you try to the play the Branderburg #2 on/either Bb or G? How did it perform?

I use it mostly for semi-regular solo work and personal practice..I don't perform on it as much as I'd like to. I play a lot and still study, but don't make my living playing..band director. I have loaned it out several times to very trusted colleagues because they were having "problems" with their pic playing and I've never had a negative comment on it! A few have even offered to buy it. I have two friends who have recently sold their Schilkes and bought the 1520..said they just liked the blow and sound better. The last major performance I used it on was David Gillingham's "When Speaks the Signal-Trumpet Tone" and I was very impressed with the sound when I listened to the recording. It easily soared over the band without sounding like I was over blowing at all..nice big sound and bright, but not too bright--still sounded like a trumpet.

I have practiced Brandenburg on the G side. The horn certainly performed a lot better than I did. I love the G side and wish I had more occassion to play it--plays well in tune and with a big sound. I don't use the Bb side very much because I'm more comfortable on A, but I have found (when I was learning the Gillingham) that the only note that seems to be a problem on Bb is the low C#. I was able to get it in tune with triggers/practice, but I ended up playing it in A because of the nature of the runs/melodic lines and tempo. I have also found that overall slotting is really good..maybe that's the benefit of having three seperate sets of slides/bells?

I hope you find this helpful. If there's anything else you'd like to know I'll be happy to try and help.

9. MrV

MrV New Friend

Jan 27, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Well, I'm back!

riffdawg2000,

Nothing is wrong with my Stomvi Piccolo.
    I'm just curious to know if all piccolos are hard to play in Bb like when playing the Branderburg #2.
    BTW my Stomvi Piccolo IS ALSO in three keys: G/A/Bb

imjazd1

With my current piccolo I can play it 3-4 (third movement) times (with 5 minute breaks in between) but I have to take a long 30 minute break after that to be able to play it again and of course play some long tones to relax the muscles.

Now you can probably see my curiousity on the 1520 specially in G maybe the Branderburg IS EASIER to play?

My goal is to be able to play it 7 times (with 5 minute breaks in between) just to make sure I'm ready to perform it.
    Piccs are always easy to play in A, on that key I can go for hours :)

As to what mouthpiece I'm using with my picc... 7E 25 throat and 117 backbore. I like the BIG sound I get with it specially in the key of A.

Can you provide an audio clip (either you or one of your friends) playing it in G/A and Bb.

Maybe
    Trumpet Voluntary (playing it in trumpet in A)
    Branderburg #2 (playing it in trumpet in G and Bb)

I hope you have time to do this for me hmm us (this forum) Thanks in advance.