Anyone studied under some greats?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Jan 13, 2012.

1. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    Michael Denovchek - 38 years with Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
    Rich Illman - now at Michigan State (he was a student of Vince Demartino at UK)

2. bbotzong

bbotzong New Friend

Aug 8, 2010
    I studied under Chuck Erwin, solo Corbet for the President's own, and Phil Candreva, first call player in Hollywood for many years and a drinking buddy of Mendez... Ahhh good times.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Chuck Peterson.

Played with Artie Shaw, and Tommy Dorsey, among others and did the famous trumpet duel with Ziggy Elman on "Well, Git It".

Played with him three years on the Bob-Lo boats in Detroit, all summer, and room mates.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    http://malcolmmcnab.com/images/walt_med.jpg

I studied for about 4 years under Walt Laursen who taught at USC. He was a student of Herbert L. Clarke, and Walt also taught Malcom McNab.

Walt was 1st trumpet in the Pasadena Symphony.

Here's what Malcom wrote about him: "As I mentioned in my bio, I met Walt Laursen in 1957 as a result of my receiving a PTA Scholarship. He was a wonderful influence on my life, musically and personally. I will always be indebted to him for the example of generosity and support he showed me.

For many years he was an inspiration and role model for scores of young men at the Pasadena Boy’s Club. He was a teacher and musical director of the award winning Pasadena Boy’s Club Band and Dance Band. The band featured such guest soloists as Rafael Mendez and Leonard B. Smith. He took a lot of interest in each of his students and even in retirement, both Walt and his wife Jan continued to help by teaching people to read and write-these were not only students, they were also adults trying to obtain citizenship into the US."

Not one of the "greats" mentioned, but a great man to me and many others.

If any can find Walt's obituary, I'd very much appreciate it. A Google search yields a Pasadena Star entry from 2006, but upon searching further, I can't find it. Or if any TM's knew him, would love to PM. In our digital age, it saddens me that someone can just be swallowed up as it were.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  6. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    My teacher played with Maynard for a while. Learned some good stuff from him. Don Thomas was a good friend of my grandfathers, my dad played with him a few times. Can't imagine not learning anything from listening to that guy play!

7. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I remember riding a Bob-Lo boat when I was a child. Magical memories. Maybe you were playing that day.

8. centerofaTONEment

centerofaTONEment New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Nice. And those are some good and healthy looking horns!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Armondo Ghitalla
    Heinz Zickler
    Daniel Patrylak

Funny enough, studying with the greats is only significant when the student is great too.....................

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Rowuk, I'd never claim greatness having once studied with someone I considered great. It is only my belief that over 90% never again play a musical instrument beyond high school band, and I attribute such mostly to the fact they can't afford their own instruments. Too, of the 10% otherwise who go on to study instrumental music in college fewer than 1 in 10 pursue a teaching instrumental music or professional instrumental music career. I certainly did not and will not, albeit I may at times play for others and won't refuse money for doing so. I now practice and play primarily for the enjoyment of doing so.