Anyone studied under some greats?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Jan 13, 2012.

1. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    Daniel Patrylak
    ............[/QUOTE]

Great person, as well

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I meant that dropping names really is insignificant. The greats also get more than their share of "duds" or other players that cannot really understand what they consider significant. Many of the Claude Gordon, Callet Superchops, .... embouchure threads show how little really is passed on.

In any field, the CV is only an indication of what a person has been exposed to, not what has been absorbed. If we look at how many duds have 6 million facebook friends (or over 11,000 posts here....;-) we see where this world is going.

3. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    I learned a lot from a local (chicago church scene) great who has since passed (truck accident, got hit changing a tire on the expressway... He was 43...RIP Dave) he was someone i would consider a mentor, and was amazed with what he could do with a trumpet.... It seemed as though on a good day or bad, he could play ANYTHING without missing a note... We always said when i got old enough we would play together(i was 14 at the time, and still learning) well it never happened.... And i am really still kicking myself..... Some 8 yrs later... But he was a great guy....

4. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    Oh, i also get to play quite often with my great uncle, who has been a guest trumpet for CSO on numerous occasions....

5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Well...I don't know if this will count or not...but I spent a day with Scott Cowan (WMU jazz/trumpet professor) in a "clinic" type setting. There were very few of us so we got a lot more "one on one" time with him. I learned some GREAT stuff with him that day!

I also got to spend a few hours with Steffon Harris once. GREAT learning experience....just great!

Other than that, it's just been the local greats! Dan Ouellette, Tony Sproul (Out of Favor Boys) and a few others....I've learned plenty from them just by hangin out, listening and doing a few jams with them!

Kujo

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

In my life, I'd estimate that less than 1% of what I've been required to be exposed to or just happened to see, hear, smell, feel, or taste has had any real value to me, but by my own choice I've learned and enjoyed a small segment to my satisfaction with no intent of making such a career.

With age and health issues now prohibiting practice, application or contact with, too much of what I formerly enjoyed are now just memories, yet memories I cherish, which includes many friends present or passed.

Recently, I performed a satisfactory instrumental musical solo, the consequence as drove home the hard fact that I should begin restricting my practice and playing. Pertinent, is my thought of joining a community band in the coming summer. It just won't be viably possible.

7. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    Sometimes you take what you can get and I studied for a few years under a gentleman named Dwight Carver!!

8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Over the years,

Wayne Naus
    Roger Ingram
    Leon Merian
    Mike Vax
    I had one lesson with Maynard when I was young, and will never forget it.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I took a lesson at Manny's home a few years ago.

It was a great experience!

10. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Ed,

In that case, what is the percent of that percent that teach as a volunteer? I am curious. :cool: