Anyone tried Marcinkiewicz Rembrandts?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Syntax, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Syntax

Syntax New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    [​IMG]

These horns first caught my eye for two reasons:

1. There's an odd-shaped hook on the bell pipe near the valve section. You don't find too many of those around... also seems like it would be hard to fit in a conventional trumpet case!

2. Mic Gillette, the original TOWER OF POWER lead trumpet player endorses them. TOWER OF POWER being arguably the greatest horn band to live, this gives the horn much credit, in my humble opinion. However, that is very arguable, and I don't want to dive into a discussion about how much an artists endorsement really matters... this is about the horn. :p

Now, from my searches and reviews read, Marcinkiewicz has much credibility, more specifically in the mouthpiece department. Many people I've seen have held their mouthpieces in very high regard, particularly the Bobby Shew models. HOWEVER, I have yet to hear anyone discuss the Marcinkiewicz trumpets.

So, has anyone ever played the Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt? It seems like a very nice trumpet... and I'm sorry but I idolize Mic Gillette and I know other people do as well... so someone out there has to play one.

Give opinions for any of those who own, have owned, have tested, etc.

(P.S. to those pleading "try a search for general info", I did a search and no discussion has been revealed to my findings of this trumpet... :p If I screwed up, then those who do own and like these horns have a chance to self-promote. :))

Take care,
    Syntax

2. UPtrumpeter

UPtrumpeter New Friend

Mar 15, 2004
    I was just out at Marcinkieiwicz this weekend and got to play their horns and ended up buying a mouthpiece. Simply put, their horns are fabulous! The horns I played slotted like no other, and the valve action is amazing. All I could do while I was playing their horns is smile and laugh in amazement at how good they played. I also learned that Marcinkiewicz is one of the only shops that makes EVERYTHING in house (including all plating/finishing). Horns enter the shop in the form of brass stock and sheet metal and they don't leave until they are sent to the owner. If you are in the market for a high end horn, you owe it to yourself to contact these guys and check out their stuff, you won't be sorry!

A couple side notes. The horn I fell in love with was the Mic Gillette model with a Red Brass bell. It had a big fat sound that really barked in all registers, and it resonated like no other horn I've played. The Gillette horn is a large bore horn with a large bell, and an open, reversed leadpipe. His signature model mpc is also free blowing from my understanding. His gear is free blowing because he had a heart attack (I think) years back, and was suffering problems (headaches) because of back pressure due to resistance in his previous horns.
    Also, Joe learned all of his stuff from Mr. Benge himself, if you notice the brace on the third valve slide, its just like the brace on the Benges. Marcinkiewicz is also one of the few trumpet manufacturers to have two patents on his designs. One being the shepard's crook and the other being the blank for the Concert hall mouthpieces.

Drop me a PM if I can provide any futher assistance.

Ken

*Edited to add more info about the horn*

3. Syntax

Syntax New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    Very much thanks for the input, Ken! No surprise that a Mic Gillette model stood out, eh? He's a fabulous player.

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I find this interestingly sad :cry:

WWBW is closing out this trumpet!

Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt SC4X Bb Trumpet Closeout
    http://www.wwbw.com/Marcinkiewicz-Rembrandt--SC4X-Bb-Trumpet-i23773.music

The reviews are all very positive (one was stupid, but positive). It sounds like quite the horn for $3000. Why is WWBW closing it out if it is so good? They probably don't sell enough of them. Even though they have no real competition and the horn is not discounted to the bone like other models.

Beautiful horn. If it plays like some suggest, WOW.

But heaven forbid that WWBW not sell Barrington or Band Now beginner's instruments.

Cheaper is not always the way to go. Sometimes it is worth saving your shekels to get that next horn up.

Jim

5. UPtrumpeter

UPtrumpeter New Friend

Mar 15, 2004
    Speaking of Mic. He was in town Monday night, playing with the Steve Cannon Big Band and the South West Washington Jazz Band at the SWWJB concert. The high school bands played a few TOP and Maynard tunes where Mic joined em. Then Steve's band played another set and Mic joined them on a few tunes, and directed a TOP medley. After the concert I got to talk with Mic a bit about his horn and stuff. The surprising thing he mentioned to me was that the horn is designed to have no gap, with the idea that throughout the horn loss of air velocity is kept to a minimum (all smaller pipes going into bigger pipes). He also said that with his horn, he can play a note, then turn 360 degrees and there won't be a change in volume. According to him, this happens because of the shepards crook in the bell, it projects the sound back at the player, and no other horn has done that in his experience. Anywho, Monday night was the best show I've ever paid three bucks to see. If any of you get a chance to see Mic play (he's playing with the Doobie Brothers right now, I think), or meet him in person I highly reccommend it, he's a super nice guy, and a monster player.

P.S. Steve Cannon is also a monster player in the Portland/Vancouver area, if any of you get a chance to see him. He's also a great teacher and a cool guy. PM me if you want to get in touch with him.

-Ken

6. Syntax

Syntax New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    Jim -

You're probably correct; they're selling out because they don't sell enough. All of the reviews seem to promote the instrument, but for some reason, this horn simply isn't that well known. That's why I brought it up at this forum, because in my searches I have found minimal discussion over it. It simply is one of the most overlooked horns out there, and it's really unfortunate.

Ken -

That's an amazing story... I absolutely LOVE to hear Tower of Power players who are out there and in the business still. From Mic Gillette doing gigs with bands all over the place to Al Chez and Lee Thornburg playing on Letterman and Leno.

I have yet to meet Mic, but he seems like an easygoing guy to approach and talk to. He posts sporadically on the TOP board @ bumpcity.com and is always positive and laid back... nice to know he's the same in person. I've seen Tower of Power live 3 times... if only I weren't a teenager in the wrong place (Mohegan Sun gaming area... no one under 21 permitted :)) without the necessary courage to stand up and try to talk to Adolfo Acosta or Mike Bogart. The two of them make an outstanding duo (IMO Bogart is the best TOP lead since Gillette left)... but hey, there will be other chances.

Back to the horn, I wasn't aware of the price ($3000) which is very expensive, but it does seem like this horn has made everyone who's touched it happy. I'd like to hear more, so keep it coming guys! :)

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I remember a few short months ago when Marcienkiewicz was advertising a couple of his horns "new, out the factory door" on Ebay. Any chance that business slowed down so much that the "factory door" is going to close?

8. Syntax

Syntax New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    I doubt it... Marcinkiewicz gets much credit and sales in their mouthpiece department. They wouldn't throw away all their horn research just because sales are slow.

But who knows?

9. UPtrumpeter

UPtrumpeter New Friend

Mar 15, 2004
    Marcinkieiwcz is fairly busy, and I think its going to stay that way. I'm rather puzzled about the horns on ebay, there could be any reason that they went up, my guess is that a dealer cancelled an order on a few horns. They are trying to expand their customer base to the younger crowd, one of their main dealers in the area offers interest free financing on their horns for up to three years. They also have a rather short turn around time (4-6 weeks, start to finish) because they usually don't start production on horns until they are ordered. The turnaround time surprised me the most, especially for a custom horn built from the ground up. This is lightning fast because the other local custom trumpet maker has at least a year long waiting list to get his horn. Again, they're something to definitely check out, even if you don't have the cash. Its always a blast to go out there, I was out there last week to get my mouthpiece plated and play a few more horns for giggles (the Mic Gillette is still my favorite). If you ever stop in Portland, spend the time to drive across town out to Canby and spend a few hours out at the shop.

10. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    That could be (maybe WWBW). Also, eBay is cheap advertising. If someone buys a horn, great. If not, a couple of hundred trumpet players saw the ad. A win/win most of the time.

Jim