Anyone try playing flute?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anotherhornter, Apr 21, 2011.

1. anotherhornter

anotherhornter New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    Hello!
    I’m a novice, learning to play an old Roth cornet which I enjoy.

Last week I started learning flute as well, and I’m worried that it may affect my horn playing.
    Has anyone had experience playing both instruments?

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I have - but it may not help you! I found I just couldn't make the flute sound nice (and it was a Yamaha with which my sister could challenge James Galway) so stopped. Maybe years of trumpet had had an affect on my lips/breathing which didn't suit the flute.

However, playing the piano doesn't seem to have affected my trumpet playing at all.

--bumblebee

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Never played flute, but played around with a flute player who was the Drum Major's girlfriend. Put my life in serious danger.

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Never played one either..............But........I did play around with a flute player, we've been married almost 36 years now:lol::roll::oops:

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    My secund wife (out of 3) was a flute player. I tried, but never got a good sound. From the flute, of course.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I started playing the chromatic harmonica a year ago, which like the flute, is in C. I play both trumpet and harmonica in "real book" trio. I can't comment on embouchure differences with the flute. But having to learn these tunes in 2 keys has helped me musically.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Playing flute, you'd be back in the key of C ... I play flute, casualy, if one happens to be around and there's a good reason. It's pretty easy compared to the trumpet .... Actually, I'd have to say it's very easy compared to trumpet.

The embochures aren't that different. A lot more strength is needed for trumpet and there's no "buzzing" with flute. The way you're supposed to set your embochure for flute is with a very tiny round hole that produces a "laser-like stream of air." I remember some teacher saying that .... seemed like an overly vivid way to describe what is essentially a pretty boring sound overall.

You rarely see a trumpet player doubling on flute but it's very common with saxophone players. My friend (who gave me sax lessons some years ago) makes a nice living around here because he plays (and can bring to any gig):

Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone Saxes
    Flute
    Clarinet

Why don't trumpet players double more on flute? All of those things my friend plays are totally similar in embochure EXCEPT the flute. It's actually closer to the trumpet embochure.:dontknow:

Turtle

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nice discussion here which of course includes the tut-torial on flute playes, but in keeping to the theme of the original poster, I did some searching myself as I thought that the lip muscles used would require different orientation and therefore "different memory". So does this really matter. Then the original poster asked if there is anyone out there that has experienced this. Experience does offer valuable perspective so I am offering this link on a nice discussion with someone that actually has this experience.

Musical Instrument Doubling, Flute Trumpet Trombone Brass Embouchure

Hope this helps. As for experience with flute playes, every is on there own, as I can only imagine a vast array of experiences on that nuance.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    What? Is my experience in the post just above chopped liver?:dontknow: Didn't the OP ask is anyone had exerience playing both???

I don't play often enough (the flute) to have a good idea if it's hard to do both. I doubt it. I'd say, judging by the number of sax players who also play flute very effectively .... go for it. C'mon, if a sax player can do it ..... If it messes up your trumpet playing, you can tell us.:-)

Turtle

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Let me amend my commet to the following:

Experience does offer valuable perspective so I am offering this link on a nice discussion with someone that actually has this experience... in addition to turtle who is definately NOT chopped liver... and in fact offers the best turtle soup I have ever tasted. So now we have 2 EXCELLENT perspectives that so complement one another nicely.

[So Turtle, am I still in the dog house?]