Anyone try playing flute?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anotherhornter, Apr 21, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Turtle soup?:shock:

Tortoise

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Woof, woof!

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Btw, as far as the flute goes ....... It CAN be a beautiful instrument, it just never was for me. Must have been the flute.

Tortoise

4. ZeuSter

ZeuSter Pianissimo User

May 22, 2004
    I play the flute , both as a teacher of young band students and on my gigs.
    I'm sorry to contradict an earlier poster, but the embouchures are completely different
    (trumpet and flute). If you practice the flute you will get a good sound on it. Playing the flute has never caused any ill effect on my trumpet embouchure, in fact playing and practicing the flute is a nice change of pace form the trumpet and it lets your trumpet embouchure rest while you are playing flute. It is true that the flute is less demanding on your lips than the trumpet (should be obvious).

5. anotherhornter

anotherhornter New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    Thanks for the input, everyone!
    @Gmonady- thanks for the link!

I was worried that trying the flute was affecting my sound on the cornet, having had more difficulty than usual hitting higher notes the past two days. It seemed that my lip was getting tired...well, I guess that's reasonable now that I think about it...

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It isn't the instrument, it is the time and care that you take developing the necessary skills. Additional instruments only need additional practice time. If you have the time, there is no mechanical issue!

7. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I remember our high school band director telling us that the flute takes more air than any other instrument, including the Sousaphone. All of the flute players in our band were girls. Pretty girls. With great lungs.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yah, I know, my experience as well. The bestest lungs, yah!

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Seems most are much more eager to talk about flute players than flute playing...

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I played in a top 40 band in the 70's .. Chicago tunes , disco stuff... when we lost our sax player I took over the flute parts if they were featured... I wasn't great at it but how hard is it to play Color My World or some Jethro Tull pentatonic solo ... zero effect on the trumpet chops.. would go back and forth between them all night.
    Come to think of it ..the flute players I dated did have an effect on my playing in school ... probably because they had great lungs and could kiss for long periods of time without coming up for air.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011