Anyone try playing flute?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anotherhornter, Apr 21, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Phil... We are trumpet players here... Trumpet players play with much vibrato... So we are only doing what we are programmed to do... blow passionate lines... with the vibrato of fluctuating between flutes (the instruments) and flutes (the players).

So... com' on Phil... show us you're a real trumpet player and tell us about your most precious flutist memory.

WE ALL have VB to thank for this minor thread diversion. Thank you VB!

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    +1gmonady .... you know you want to Phil

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

That is a good point .... I have been a dabbler only on the flute and the results show about that level of commitment. I think that, like most things in life, you get out of them what you put in.

As for the embochures, they are very similar ... IF you have a relaxed trumpet embochure. If you have one of those tight, grimacing face embochures for your trumpet, then they are not that similar. Even the way that you adjust and make the hole smaller for higher notes is similar.

The essential difference is that you don't buzz on the flute and you don't have to build tight and strong corners of your mouth, with muscles. Your lips are just slightly more pursed (like a chimp), but not much, if you have a relaxed trumpet embochure.:dontknow:

Turtle

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It's true! Fully half your air isn't going into the flute, it's cutting across that hole and being split in half (roughly) by that sharp edge.

Turtle

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Guilty as charged. I diversify though (clarinet players...)

6. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    In my experience, flute and clarinet players are fun, but when it comes time to settle down, a trumpet player should look for a hot piano player. They make the best wives.[​IMG]

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Years ago I successfuly played a fife and also was decent on the jug and chromatically tuned beer bottles (water added to tune). At this instant, I can reach out and grab a flute which soon I hope to rid myself of. Yes, my daughter plays flute and piccolo as well as clarinet and saxes IMO all like a pro, but such is not her chosen vocation.

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Or guitar players. :D

--bumblebee

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    great pic .. so you keep her around by bribing her with pearls I see ..

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    My wife does play picc as well. as a flute player, she's not a pro quality one, but does sound pretty good. She has two, and one's Chinese. It actually projects better than her good one. Another plus she has is she can pick up a tune by ear. Including the Color My World solo and Ave Maria. She stunned me at Christmas by working Ave up in about an hour and then using it during our Christmas Eve service. Me, I gotta have black dots in front of me:dontknow::roll::lol::oops: