Anyone try playing flute?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anotherhornter, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Well, yeah, we are a trumpet forum,and is only natural for us to think of flute-players than the flute itself!

coolerdave likes this.
  2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.

3. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I've tried it and I'm still trying!!! Hellishly difficult to get a steady embouchure.

Only because I picked up a silver and ebony Conn flute{naturally} at an auction 5 years ago.

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    +1 !

Mikel

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I got picked up by a flute player at an auction a year ago. We had no difficulty steading our embouchures.

6. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    So long as your stack keys were stiff and steady and her pivot points were well lubed.
    And you had soft pads....

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As stated by the pro that you are: "I've tried it and I'm still trying!!!"

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I read somewhere that french horn players were naturals at the flute. I find the learning curve from trumpet to flute to be pretty easy. Other instruments don't seem to have the same ability to get high velocity air streams, so they tend to hyper ventilate on the flute.

I recommend getting a native flute and look at the construction of the fipple, then do the same with your lips, no problem.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I prefer the sound of the Shakuhachi flute overall ..... but they are even harder to play. If you want a real challenge, there are now plastic ones you can buy that are very respectable, according to my cousin, who plays the traditionally made Shakuhachis. I've yet to get a note out of one and, if you want a chromatic scale, you have to half-cover (very small) finger holes .... It's mental.:stars:

Just the haunting sound of it has been known to attract women from blocks away on our holidays in Mexico.:D They show up wanting to know what in the heck it is.

Turtle

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If French horn players were "naturals at the flute" I could pick up the Gemeinhardt 2 arm lengths from where I now sit and play it as well as I did and will on brass, but such just isn't going to happen. From time to time I've switched off to my Fh Farkas mpc with adapter to play my F mellophone.

I played a Fh regularly for a year and then infrequently for many years afterward, but it was a school instrument and such came to an end when I graduated. The mpc I used was mine and I still have it and use it.

How many can play a 4 minute song on brass, take a big breath and blow all the candles out on your birthday cake before taking another breath? If you can't, I don't recommend you playing a flute until you strengthen your airstream and control your breathing. It's enough for me that my daughter can play it very well, piccolo, clarinet and saxes also.