Anyone try playing flute?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anotherhornter, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
  2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Who needs flutes with trumpets that sound like that??

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've regularly transposed music from C instruments to Bb cornet / trumpet. Mostly such was from piano, but I did the piccolo part to my Schilke P5-4 for Sousa's Stars and Stripes, Forever! I also did the violin part for Strauss's Tales From The Vienna Woods and also the popular excerpt from his Blue Danube. Such is so simple for me that I often play it directly via sight reading, a skill I learned while my Mother played piano.

Yes, the transposition is doable and some will like it and some won't ... but that holds true for many things in life.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Am I wrong or wasn't she playing a C trumpet? Too, some great video-audio mix as the venues changed from an empty church to a hall with an audience and back again. Yep, she too is a great trumpeter !

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    You seemed to have missed my point. Most flute beginners hyperventilate playing the flute. There is zero resistance on the flute, the learning curve on the flute is being able to focus the air stream and get it to a high velocity without wasting a bunch of air, which many trumpeters/horn players are familiar with.

As to the finer nuances of the instrument you could spend years learning vibrato, scales, singing into it etc, all of which may vary depending on the culture you want to subscribe to.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @Ed Lee .. I love the Sousa descant parts but playing a flute part on a pic from one of his marches... unreal.. that's flying.
    Since the thread has long lost the gravitational pull of the original question.. I figured why fight it.. this is fun.
    I mean flute will help build up the wind and won't hurt the embouchure

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The descant in SSF was written for C piccolo, the tiny flute. I was initially trained on brass by Walter H Cameron who had played lead cornet 1926-31 with Sousa's second commercial band, and when Sousa quit the band having become very sick, he went on to play with Ringling Brothers Circus before they bought Barnum & Bailey and merged them. Meridith Willson, "The Music Man" played flute with that 2nd band of Sousa's.

My late brother and I argued about my refusing to play SSF. I just wouldn't without the piccolo part, and my daughter then didn't have one.
    Finally, I popped the statement that I could transpose that part for a piccolo trumpet, but didn't have one. I don't know if it's new or not, but a week before my brother died, he sent me my Schilke P5-4 and subsequently I played SSF ... ALL BRASS PARTS without drums. Really, I am irked by the USMC rendition that in the finale crescendos the basses and drums to wipe out the reprise of the piccolo. Sousa didn't write a crescendo for the basses and drums there. OK, without drums or someone waving a stick at me for tempo, my recorded CD track time is 3:38 coincidentally the same as USMC's. Sousa's march tempos are in my head and I can't get rid of them. I've also recorded Sousa's first published commercial song as is NOT a march, but with an intro and finale is a collection of 5 waltzes entitled Moonlight On The Potomac. Still I believe a couple should see a psychiatrist if they want to get married with Sousa's Wedding March.

"Flying", well Mr. Cameron also taught our HS band to play Julius Fucik's Entry of the Gladiators aka Grande Marche Chromatique ... a great warm up piece ... ha! ha! It is the song played when the clowns enter the ring at "The Greatest Show On Earth".

I too enjoy descants and have also done them to Schubert's Ave Maria and to several other religious songs, and not always with my Schilke picc.

Still, I'll say my "piece d'resistance" on the picc is Charge Of The Light Brigade by Edward T. Paull. Many say he didn't write his marketed music, and he was so prolific in the marketplace at that time that I'll not dispute their comment.

I'll conclude by saying that excluding my picc and euphonium, all the other horns I now have are just student quality ... but I've enjoyed them and soon will again.

Yeah, building our wind will always be a quest. In addition to many devices now provided by my pulmonary Doc, I blow up those tiny balloons and shoot dry rice kernels at my antique tin soldiers with a coffee stirring straw vis a blow gun, although in the far corner is a real Amazon blow gun but I don't have any curare dipped darts for it and I think it has now warped. These coffee straws I find helpful to maintain shape of lip aperture.

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I tried to match the fingerings and I'm pretty sure she's playing an Eb/ D trumpet in Eb.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Agreed.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Admittedly I do not know the configurations of cornets / trumpets that are other than Bb and I'll also except ALL rotarys. Also, I don't feel the audio system on my computer allows me to discern concert key in which the music is played or the key of the instrument it is played on. I myself have played Hallelujah Chorus in the concert keys of both D Major and Eb Major on Bb instruments. Too, Walter Donaldson's Carolina In The Mornin' written in concert key of C, I've played in what looks like D Major (two sharps) on Bb instruments. It thus is my supposition that the composers wrote their music in certain concert keys to be also played on that key instrument whether a specific type instrument or another.