Anyone try playing flute?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anotherhornter, Apr 21, 2011.

1. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Back in the 70's I studied with Carmine Caruso and I remember him telling me the flute was the most natural doubling instrument for a trumpet player. Jerry Callet also teaches his super chops/tce method to flute players.

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I have had a flute so long that I don't remember exactly where I got it. Just out of curiosity, one day when my chops were a bit worn out, I picked up the flute and a fingering chart to see (and hear) what would happen, not having attempted to play a flute in a long time. What a surprise! I was able to play most of the notes right away, but the awkward finger positions were challenging, plus learning all the different ones could take some time. Playing the flute doesn't seem to be tiring, and making notes come out seems easy (to me, anyway). It makes me appreciate how difficult it is for us to master playing the trumpet and how rewarding it is to do so, but also how lucky we are to have just three easily accessed valves to deal with. The only instrument that is harder to play is the French horn, in my opinion and experience. I don't think there would be any harm in playing flute once in a while, since it seems to involve so little effort of the embouchure we as brass players have developed.

Bach Stradivarius Model 72* trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    King Opus 7 cornet
    King Cleveland 602 cornet
    Parrot Bb field trumpet
    natural trumpet in key of C (frankenhorn under construction)
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    shofar
    Gemeinhardt C flute

"There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the path of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." -- Michael Stewart, DMA

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I tried it but didn't like it.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    One thing about flutes .... their sound is so mellow and unobtrusive, that CLAMS either go unnoticed or sound like clams. I would put the trumpet up against absolutely anything for title of "hardest clams to hide".

Turtle

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My Gemeinhardt flute is presently in my center desk drawer along with my colonial fife (replica, not antique). I'd surmise that I can play both as well as I play any of my brass instruments. Anyway, if I play my flute low and softly my wife will tolerate far better than my whistling, but not so the fife. My clarinet is at my knee here at my computer table, and with it I ain't no Benny Goodman, but doable for most smaller community bands.

6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    What about a squeaking reed? When a trumpeter misses a note, it's a mistake; when a clarinet player misses a note, it's an eardrum-piercing offense.

Bach Stradivarius Model 72* trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    King Opus 7 cornet
    King Cleveland 602 cornet
    Parrot Bb field trumpet
    natural trumpet in key of C (frankenhorn under construction)
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    shofar
    Gemeinhardt C flute

"There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the path of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." -- Michael Stewart, DMA

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I suppose that depends on whether the clarinetist is playing quad forte or quad piamissimo. Either way, if its discernable its an offense that irritates others they play with. At least it's less than that of a violin.

8. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    coolerdave likes this.
  9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Top right of the screen "SETTINGS"
    Then look on the left side under Settings ..Edit Signature

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned