Anyone try playing flute?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anotherhornter, Apr 21, 2011.

1. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    I saw Carl Fischer play saxophone as (soprano&tenor) as well as trombone with Billy Joel's band.
    Another guy who comes to mind is Glenn Zotolla who is a monster on trumpet and sax.
    I've also seenTom Malone plays sax, flute trumpet and trombone with The Fab Faux.

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Benny Carter, alto sax AND trumpet.
    Joe McPhee, tenor and soprano saxes AND trumpet.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The monster trumpet player in the Tower of Power horn section is also the trombone player. He can hit the highest section notes and then, in a few bars, switch to trombone. :roll:

Turtle

4. anotherhornter

anotherhornter New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    Hey, thanks, that's exactly the sort of thing I wanted to know.

By the by, since posting this question, I've spent more time playing my little tin whistle than either my cornet or my concert flute!;-)

5. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    James Morrison & FJO Big Band - Pick Up The Pieces - YouTube They're actually fairly similar instruments from what I've heard.

6. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    I doubled on flute years ago (on a limited basis) in a wedding band, and found no affect positive or negative on my trumpet playing. I also took about a year of private flute lessons, again, no affect. But reeds, especially double reeds played in college classes were another matter. A half hour of oboe practice and I could forget about trumpet playing for the rest of the day.

Brad361

7. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    I'm curious as to how many trumpeters can and do double on flute.

8. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    I do, occasionally. I got a flute for really cheap from a guy who didn't want. It's not really great or anything, but just something to screw around on. It doesn't really effect trumpet playing at all. It can give me some time to work on breath control when my trumpet playing is worn out for the day though, which is a plus (swimming, running, etc also can do this though).

9. jazzmetalrocknroll

jazzmetalrocknroll Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I play the trumpet, of course. But I also have been learning clarinet, and flute, and picked them up pretty easily, despite only having #3 reeds my brother gave me, and having to teach myself flute with only an internet connection to help XD been looking forward to being able to play jethro tull for a while now c:

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I have been playing with the same flute player for the last 15 years.