Anyone try playing flute?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anotherhornter, Apr 21, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    WOW -- you got me thinking now, and perusing Ebay for - -- a flute --- I double on the trombone as well as trumpet (this is my debut year on the trombone, it is relatively new for me -- 6 months now --but I have been holding up well in the summer parades for community band -- with rave reviews from my peers, who have played the instrument for 40+ years each.

a flute --- mmmm, maybe ---

2. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    It's an interesting instrument. I've been playing flute in addition to trumpet (as well as guitar, piano, and a few other things) for a few months now. If you're going to go look on ebay, I'd recommend reading this eBay Guides - The Insider's Guide to Buying a Beginner Flute. How does trombone differ in feel from trumpet? Always been curious. Trombone shorty (troy andrews), James morrison, Maynard Ferguson, and the guy from Tower of Power who's name I don't remember all did both trumpet and trombone.

This.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    KT, PM me re your budget for a flute, I may be able to provide what you need and meet your budget. I've a great resource for flute and reed tech.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Phil you read my mind...Alison makes the Debussy fun.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    the trombone seems to take a lot of air -- so I can play like 4 bars instead of 8 with the trumpet. I just got a customized mpc -- which seems to be easier (basically I reduced the size of the rime by 20%) so it fits better.
    I started working the trombone in with the trumpet GRADUALLY -- 5 minutes a day for a week, then 10 minutes, etc.
    FOR me it took about 3 months to get decent reproducible sound out of the trombone.
    NOW, after 6 months -- it is normal to switch horn in the middle of practice with no problems adjusting on either instrument
    that is about how I can describe it.