Anyone use a treadmill for exercise? (might help w/ endurance for trumpet playing)

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by ButchA, Aug 5, 2018.

1. ButchA

ButchA Piano User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Thanks for all the great replies. My wife thinks I'm crazy because I went on a 30 mile bicycle ride yesterday and had a great workout at the same time. I tried to get her to go along with me, and well... that didn't go over very well! :duh:

Besides using a treadmill for rainy days, and/or this coming winter months, I have found that riding a bicycle long distances really gets your heart and lungs pumping, as you try to maintain a steady 15 or 16 mph (24 - 25 kph). It's not as hard on the body as running a 10K in under an hour (best time: 58:15 -- and it took me days to recover!)

I know we all appreciate vintage trumpets and cornets as seen in various sub-forums and posts from everyone. I also appreciate vintage '80s style road bikes with the old style, 27" gumwall tires, manual lever friction shifters, heavy gauge steel frame, etc... Those old bikes are built like a tank and keep on going. Check out my classic 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 12 speed road bike, that I picked up a number of years ago from a college kid (was his dad's bike - new in '85 - and once the kid graduated, he didn't want the bike anymore and the dad didn't want it back). I snatched it up for $100 bucks, if I remember right. Darn thing was still in MINT condition for being a 30+ year old bicycle! :grin:
    [​IMG]

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Late to the party on this post but it's really important to have good shoes.. Hokas can take some of the pounding off your body.. personally I hate the dreadmill

ButchA likes this.
  3. Brassman64

Brassman64 Forte User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    Treadmills are boring .I use them at the highest slope angle to help me prepare for switchbacks on the far more challenging trails in the San Gabriel Mountains.1200 ft of elevation gain over a mile is no joke above 7000 ft.

coolerdave and ButchA like this.
  4. cb5270

cb5270 Piano User

Jul 20, 2013
    As is my stationary bike. The time goes fast if you have something to keep your mind occupied. TV documentaries, orchestra DVD's, right now I am watching music education DVD's from Great Courses.

coolerdave, Brassman64 and ButchA like this.