Anyone use Kanstul WB for classical??

Discussion in 'Horns' started by drac, Aug 12, 2004.

1. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    I know, bizzare question. I happen to be using one now for a concert band I am in because we play all different styles of music. In the classical setting though, this horn has some obvious blending issues. I was wondering if anyone else does this, and if so what mouthpiece combination do you use?? Thanks for the input

Jon

P.S. Kanstul needs there own forum gain...... :x

2. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    when i had the wb....i did use it for classical. i played it in brass quintet situations....symphony, big bands, rock bands.....pretty much everything.

i didn't notice any problems in the classical settings. the sound is a bit different tho...i'll admit, which is why i got rid of it.

3. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Are you changing the mpc to suit the different style of music? Generally you can take "edge" off (if that's your problem) by going to a slightly larger cup and larger backbore.

Dave

4. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    oh yeah, i was using a GR 66M fatboy....that might have been helping out a bit.

5. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    I would think it would be ok for anything since it was modeled after Wayne's Bach.

I second Dave's suggestion.... Larger cup/backbore combo might bring you in the ballpark.

I as well second the suggestion that Kanstul needs their forum back....Just as Calicchio does as well. (ok and the others too!) I haven't seen my good ol' friend Larry Gianni on here in a while! Anyone notice the difference in the number of posts each day??? Hmmm... I wonder why?

6. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    What do you mean Waynes Bach? The WB is based on Kanstuls copy a Bach 72 - model 1504.

I attended a Master class he gave at the University of Central Florida and Wayne mentioned that he was playing a Schilke X3 prior to trying the first Kanstul Prototype. The X3 happened to be the horn he was playing when he had dental problems and ended up smashing it into a wall.

This was before the WB model had been released to the public. However, the Kanstul dealer that was displaying at the clinic was pushing the 1504 as the Bergeron Model. Wayne went out and tried it and said his was very different.

It was several months after that when the Bergeron Model hit the market. The rumor was that it took Zig a while to come up with a process to duplicate the leadpipe on Waynes horn.

The final product turned out a great horn.

Mike

7. Kanstulbrass

Kanstulbrass Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Agreed, I miss the Kanstul forum.

I have spoken with many of those that have chosen this horn. I have not heard of any blending issues, but I have to acknowledge that it is a highly responsive horn. Perhaps you might re-examine your symphonic mouthpiece set-up, especially the backbore. I have played the ZKT 1600 WB myself in many different situations and find that my backbore (Reeves 69) tends to be a bit bright in a symphonic/concert-type situation.

Regards,

8. ChasStarr

ChasStarr Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2004
    NE Louisiana
    I'm currently using my WB for everything...I just change my MP setup for different settings. I use a Bach 1 1/2 C for symphonic type settings and haven't had any problems with blend.

As Charles said though, it is very responsive. I have to be very careful not to overblow the section. I've had to back off one dynamic level than what I think I'm playing. f to mf, etc...

9. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all your responses. I am planning on chatting with a GR rep soon so maybe he can set me straight. I guess I am just not used to a horn that has such a small tonal center. On my horn it tends to be on the upperside of the note unlike my Bach which seems to be dead center. Once I figured this out my tone quality got much better. Overall I still love this horn and I am determined to make it work for all situations.

Regards,

Jon