Anyone want to offer some critique?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by latinjazzcat, Oct 23, 2005.

1. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    Just wondered if anyone wants to help out a high school senior preparing for college auditions by throwing in some comments/criticism of some charts I recently posted. I'm ideally going to major in jazz studies or performance w/ an emphasis on jazz. Feel free to be as harsh as you like, I'm resiliant :)
    The songs are at http://www.myspace.com/jessemcbee

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    You'll never make it with that GOOD attitude :roll:
    Wilmer

3. MrLT

MrLT Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    Manchester UK
    Dear ljc

more of us should really do this. I enjoyed listening to the songs you posted. Ceora in particular is quite a challenge. You obviously have a good technical command of your instrument which is necessary to translate your ideas into practice. Also a good solid well controlled sound (is it a flugel you are playing?). I liked the solos and they sound like work in progress - with expert instruction and high intensity exposure to other styles and approaches, you will not be the same as when you entered college. You are probably ready to go to the next level - whilst you understand basic chord and harmony theory the solos lack some colour which is imparted by the use of scales allowing you to access upper chord extensions and some good licks which can be used as a base building block. i would suggest the following:

1. REALLY listen to what some of the soloists on the originals of the tunes you recorded are doing - transcribe the solos (good practice in itself) and try to figure out what they are doing. listen to the patterns and riffs they use and adapt.

2. brush up on jazz harmony and scales - i recommend 2 sources i've found very useful: "How to play bebop" by david Baker, and the jazz theory book by mark levine

btw what gear did you use to make the recordings??

Good Luck and success.

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Wow, nice sounding stuff. You have a great tone and sounds like your already starting to put together some cool ideas that actually fit in the changes. I can tell you from experience that many players twice your age aren't there yet.
    Try to keep your time constant, I noticed a couple times in Ceora where it sounded like your getting ahead of yourself. That's usually just because your trying to keep your fingers in time with your head and something gets outta wack, just concentrate. Otherwise Ceora sounded really good. I dig that "church organ" comping that your keyboard guy/girl is doing, it sounds good, kinda like some old Ella stuff I like. Some people love it some don't :).
    Anyway, just remember, more isn't always more, use silence too sometimes :)
    -J

5. latinjazzcat

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their input- I'm picking up on a lot of things I didn't notice before (and the somewhat pessimistic nature of my initial post, as Mr. Wise pointed out, which was a good point indeed :oops: ). It's amazing how much time we can spend woodshedding "major" things only to be completely oblivious to other deficiencies. anyways, just wanted to thank everyone as I'm getting a lot out of your comments...so, Thanks!

6. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    Actually, I think Wilmer was complimenting you on "checking your ego at the door" by inviting honest opinions. Nothing pessimistic about that - it shows you are ready to listen and grow, which is a MAJOR step in the right direction.

Good luck.

J

7. latinjazzcat

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    Ahhh ok! My apologies for misconstruing things...once again goes to show how many interpretations of a statement the internet can bring about :D

Peace,
    -Jesse

8. averagejoe

averagejoe Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    You're off to a great start, Jesse -- as has already been mentioned, continue to immerse yourself in listening to the greats and take as many opportunities to play as you can. You are on your way!

Paul Poovey

9. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Hey, you've got some good stuff goin on there. Keep at it!!!
    greg
    ps: you lQQk like a young Jay Leno!

10. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    If you'd like me to be tough...

You hacked a note somewhere. :lol:

Beyond that, I can't comment on auditioning for colleges, but your sounds are great.