Anything different this time?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey Manny!

I'm sure you have played Mahler 1 before, and since today is Monday, I'm assuming that you rehearsed it today, unless today is your day off...I'm wondering how much different the way MO plays it this time compared to past times you have played it, and what do you do to make it different eahc time you play it to make it fresh...or whether or not Mahler I is just universal and played that way everytime...

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Actually, today was a day off but we start in tomorrow. Mahler 1 is a difficult enough piece that each time requires good concentration. You can't take anything for granted. But happily, Osmo has decided to include the "Blumine" movement. I'm looking forward to finally play that piece in context with the symphony instead of as a separate piece.

ML

3. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    SWEET! Wish I could be there to hear that. The MO should do the weekly online broadcasts like the ny phil. :D

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    We do.

We're also broadcast over 140 stations nationwide.

ML

5. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Friday night, 8:00 PM Central Time

NPR, I believe?

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  7. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Didnt know that, awesome.

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I'll be there. (Well, in my living room, anyway with the speakers cranked. errm..headphones!). Can't wait!

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, be careful what you wish for.

I was in the middle of playing the Blumine solo when I noticed that there wasn't any accompaniment and realized Osmo had stopped (oftentimes, he will conduct with almost no body movement and I thought this was one of those times). He was gently trying to get my attention and wondered why I wasn't playing a rotary trumpet. I said "You're really going to make us do that? " He really took me by surprise as there wasn't any mention of it before or during the first movement. It's the most taken aback I've been in a long while.

He said if that sound didn't fit in this case, then when would it? I didn't start arguing although I had plenty to say. I just said "You're the boss". We played the rest of the first half on pistons and he and I talked about it.

He has a different philosophy about sound than I do and I've known this for a while. His idea of a trumpet sound is one that has edge to it? Why? Get this: the edge serves as a warning that it's getting to loud and it's easier to control that, then. He finds that the horns we play are, and these are his words, "user friendly". The sound just gets larger and richer and never gets edgy, he explained.

The logic nseemed so convoluted and strange that I chalked it up to language and culture.

So I asked "Is this what you want for all Mahler repertoire?" He said yes. "Does this go for Strauss and Wagner?" Yes. "And when we have guests, shall we continue that approach?" Yes, again.

At this point I said "Osmo, are you trying to make us into a German orchestra? Because there's more to playing in that style than just switching instruments." He acknowledged that and said, "Look, don't misunderstand me. This is not a commandment from G-d. I'm looking for a certain balance and I want to try some things to see how many options we have."

Well, that's good to know. It's also good to know that he was under a misimpression regarding when I believed we would pull those horns out. He thought I understood that it went for Mahler as well. I told him I wasn't aware of any such understanding.

He also acknowledged and said that he realized that ultimately it's my neck on the line and I would have to be the one that plays it, not he. I appreciated that, I told him.

So, here's what's happening this week: We play the rest of the rehearsals and Thursday, Friday's concerts will be on the rotaries. Saturday's show will be on pistons.

Moral of the story: don't get excited and give people the benefit of the doubt. It usually results in a talk and an opportunity to be heard and understood. Cool your jets and always remain a gentleman or lady about it.

ML

10. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    ??? So...he doesn't trust his ears--or yours--to be able to discern the balance despite how warm or edgy the sound may be? That whole story sounded odd, logically....maybe it's just me, considering how little real orchestra experience I have... :dontknow: