Anything different this time?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Actually, Mike, those were the same questions that I posed to Osmo, regarding how far we were going to go with all this. He saw my point and went back to the idea of just acheiving a good blend, rotary or not. I dunno. I listen to the Great Gate of Kiev on the broadcast archive and it seems pretty well-balanced to me. I listened to the Shostakovitch 5, same thing. Maybe it sounds different on the podium.

My problem is 180 degrees from what you mentioed and I think that IS the problem. And our bone section plays pretty big, let me tell you. But Osmo seems to feel we overwhelm them. Whatever. I've always thought my blend with Doug Wright (our principal bone) was pretty spectacular but, like I say, whatever.

And thanks for the nice things you said, Mike. I'm not a big fan of acrimonious relationships even though they're inevitable sometimes.

ML

2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    so how are you doing the mute juggling act at the beginning of the 4th movement on the rotaries? It is hard enough of the piston trumpets but I imagine it is even more so on the the rotaries.

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    How did it go last night?

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, Glenn...

It went very well. You know, I set my mind to the gig and do the best that I can and that's just what I did. And my job was to make the best case for that composer, that interpretation, and those horns at that moment. Lookit me, I'm a court-appointed attorney! But isn't that what I've always said in so many words? I am thankful that I could use that new Slap mouthpiece Dave made for me. It made a WHOLE lot of things easier. I still have to work harder than I'm accustomed to but you get over it and just get in that frame of mind, like I say. Life's too short.

Here's the best part: So we finish and the crowd goes nuts, blah, blah, blah. First bow, Osmo signls for the orchestra to stand and evrybody's cheering. Second bow, he signals section by section. Everybody goes nuts when the horns and the rest of the brass get up. Crowd is still applauding like crazy. He comes out again, signals for first oboe, first flute, first clarinet, first bassoon, first horn... and that was it. My guys are picking up their jaws off the floor and going, "What the...?" Even the tuba didn't get a bow. So, after all this stuff he forgets to give me a solo bow.

I would have felt bad except this is Osmo. He has done this before because he gets so caught up in everything that he often forgets some of the most obvious things. I've seen him rush up to play players right after a performance and beg their forgiveness for forgetting a bow. And he's quite sincere about it. He feels bad and gets very angry with himself when he does that. I happened to have been dressed and just left the Hall very quickly but he called the house and spoke with my son who answered the phone and said that he forgot to give me a bow and was very sorry. I looked at what time the call came in and it was right after the concert ended. So he must have gone looking for me and couldn't find me because I had already split. Oh, well... when it rains it pours. Like I say, i hold nothing against the guy because he gets a bit air-headed after a performance like that. Being a conductor (semi-conductor?) I have done exactly the same thing so I know what it's like! You really feel bad because the moment's over and you can't get it back. LIKE THE FRIGGIN' MORON WHO LET HIS/HER CELL PHONE RING INCESSANTLY DURING THE SLOW MOVEMENT!!! Ahem... excuse me.

We'll be on the air tonight. Happy listening...

ML

5. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK

How can anyone be that stupid? :x There should be some sort of punishment.

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Clarino,

That has happened now several times!

One time I got so angry with that bit of stupidity that I took the white handkerchief from my breast pocket and started waving it about quite obviously to signal our surrender..."Okay, we hear you. You can stop now!"

Well, it's always more likely when the hall is full. The odds of stupid behavior increase with a full hall it seems...

ML

7. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    Unbelieveable!

If I were in charge of the hall, I would instruct the ushers to keep an eye out for the culprit, than have them taken aside afterwards to be informed that they are no longer welcome at concerts there. :evil: It makes me sooo mad!

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Or have the hall get one of those blanketing devices that blocks cell signals.

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Just remember that Lenny used to kiss some of the soloists :roll:
    Wilmer

10. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I'll be "there"! Glad to hear it went well. Cell phones...grumble. Several schools I know of have cell phone blocks. I think we do, too. Can't be that expensive. One show I played a couple weeks ago did not have them. We had a concerto for cell phone and pit band during the overture. And then, there's the conversation.

It's nice that Osmo took the time to call and apologize. Like your tag line says...