Anything different this time?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Mar 27, 2006.

1. ADziuk

ADziuk New Friend

Heh, they should install ejection seats for people with cell phones. Of course that probably wouldn't be very good for attendance, but it might be worth it. :twisted:

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Don't most halls have a sign that says NO CELL PHONES by now? And morons who ignore that could at least have the decency to put it on silent/vibrate only mode. Sheeeesh. Also, if grocery stores and schools can do it, concert halls should also be able blanket block the area so no signals get through, like Toots said.

Play purdy tonight Manny. I will be tuning in for the broadcast. ;-)

3. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    It is considered property theft to jam a cellular signal in America, and therefor is illegal. We have the Communications Act of 1934 which disallows such things in the USA. You could be charged up to $11,000 for a first offense of cell phone jamming.

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Illegal or not, we know that certain institutions do it anyway. I don't know how they get around it, but they do.

5. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    They get around it by building shielded buildings.. You put metal fragments in the walls or paint, or you build the walls several feet thick. They do not use general cell phone jammers.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I am curious as to what the "normal" rotary rep. is in the USA. Here in Germany they use pistons on Mozart and Beethoven but rotaries on the long blows like Bruckner (Mahler is seldom played!) and Carmina Burana. Wierd.
    Also, is it really possible to sound like Gil on a PRANA?

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I know... I've seen a mix of things from Germany regarding the use of the rotary horns. There's a variety regarding traditions of pistons/rotaries and vibrato/non-vibrato. I've always found that interesting. Up until now, we've used them on classical repertoire and German/Austrian romantic repertoire up to Bruckner. I can't speak for other orchetras but I'll bet it's pretty similar. Look for what Mr. Clean, Mzony and others may say.

I'm not interested in sounding like Gil. I think I've earned the right to sound like Manny. I loved the way the guy played, don't get me wrong. I grew up listening to Voisin, Vacchiano, Gil, Bernie, and Bud but, as I say, I hope to add something unique to the history of trumpet sounds.

ML

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Amen.
    I rushed home to hear Manny's performance. It was beautiful.
    Music played from the heart was what I heard. We are all musical products of what has gone before us. There is a little Vacchiano, Johnson, Herseth, Voisin, Broiles and many others in each of our musical utterances.
    The Mahler music was expressed with heart-felt fervor by Manny. I don't know which horn he played it on. I don't care which horn he played it on. It was beautiful.
    Wilmer

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes Wilmer, I agree. Manny sounds like Manny no matter what horn he plays and it is always full of beauty, passion and finesse......and it is HIS unique signature that comes through. I am always inspired. :thumbsup:

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Guys, thank you.. your praise is humbling and I hope I never disappoint you.

ML