Anything different this time?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Disappoint? You have got to be kidding.......seriously. Be as humble as you like, but you are a jewel in the orchestral world and the trumpet universe. Diamonds never lose their luster Manny. ;-)

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    WHEW! I thought she was going to say "Diamonds are a girl's best friend"! :thumbsup:

3. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    "Diamonds, thatll shut 'er up!" LOL

:D

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    If he wanted to sound like Gil, he would've. I am personally very glad he chose to sound like Manny...because he is. Truth in music...very important. Manny, your performance was so moving to so many of us because it is YOU that comes through the horn. Like it is Beethoven that comes through Beethoven or Stravinsky or Shostakovitch or any artist who is truly being honest in their work. Their person comes out. Invariably. That is what moves people.

One of my students was talking to me today about poetry and writing. (He's a college student, English lit major). About the significance of influences so large as to be legendary. Like Hemingway, or Bud, or Gil, or Miles, or Coltrane. This is the conclusion we reached: We are all products of what came before, but our own voice must, in the end, be the one that comes through. Or it isn't art anymore.

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Heh heh, I see you are a Ron White fan, JC......get the quote right...."Diamonds, that'll shut 'er up...................for a minute." ;-)