Anzac day

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by borge705, Apr 24, 2010.

1. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feKy9pth7hg
    THE LAST POST (2007 Gallipoli Dawn Service)

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

Any Australians or New Zealanders play at a dawn service this morning?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. doug finch

doug finch Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2010
    Whitstable, England
    I don't think that any of us should forget the enormous sacrifices made on our behalf. I visited one of the WW2 Battle of Britain airfields recently where they have a small museum, there was spitfire engine that had recently been dug up. There was the picture of the pilot and a whole row of his medals which the notice explained "was rescued from the trash can where his son (a so called pacifist) had placed them. How sad !!

3. aucklander

aucklander New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I have not play for Anzac Service for over 15 years now.. so no... If you are part of the army band or brass band you are more likely to be selected to play.. I am not in any of those (anymore) so ... no chance.. just get to sleep in a bit... and remember them throughout the day...

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I marched this morning - 0430 start. 5 different gigs during the day - three marches, even in the rain. Rain plays havoc with the music which now sits all over the floor at home drying out - 63 different sets of marching scores.

I wore my Dad's medals from WWII, and the "4th Battle of Cassino - Operation Diadem" - he was in charge of a Bailey Bridge construction team bridging the Rapido while under direct fire.

We finished the day with a Digger's Breakfast (Lunch) restricted to returned servicemen and their spouses - and you know what just blew me away? Those fellows passed around the hat - we were there for them and all they wanted to do was pass the hat "for the youngsters in the Band".

I am not worthy. :-(

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Good effort Ted,
    I did not commit due to uncertainty of personal movements on the day. I did watch the Sydney Dawn Service (Rainy - and a great last Post by a Navy Bugler; did not recognide Reville...different to what I play. AND it was Not Rouse. Must be a Naval Version of Reveille). And echo.. Then watched Gallipoli Dawn Service Live. A Nice Last Post and Reveille played on a Cornet by an Army Grunt..great effort. The Rest on Arms Reversed with semi/auto carbines is just not the same as the Lee Enfield .303. Then watched Melbourne parade.

Raised a Glass to our Mates, serving, served and in our thoughts. No 2-up school to go to this year.

A lovely service in France (Villers-Bretonneux) and a Last Post and Reveille played on a Flugel/Bugle. One of the best I have heard.

Raise a Glass to our Fallen, and be thankful for the efforts and sacrifices made for us to enjoy today.

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    A big thanks to your veterans, past and present.

7. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Went to a community dawn service, where I sat in with the local brass band, followed by the march in the city - Down the parade route twice. Good march, great crowd. Unfortunately there was an incident where one of the old trucks had a mechanical failure and hit 6 of the marchers, which put a bit of a damper on things, so they had to cut the march short. Luckily it was towards the end, and nobody got killed. Just 2 "critically injured". Spirits were still high though

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well done ALL - the toast is .... ANZAC. :bravo: Lest We Forget.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Just a final thought on the spirit of ANZAC ...

The Meaning of ANZAC

From a discussion between fictional American and Australian servicemen during the Korean War. Extracted from 'Brother Fish" by Bryce Courtenay pp 162-163.

“We had an American with us as our artillery forward observer, a nice bloke. One evening after dinner he asked me, 'ANZAC? What's that stand for, Jacko?'
    'Australian and New Zealand Army Corps,' I explained. He seemed none the wiser, so I continued, 'Along with the New Zealanders we stormed the beach at Gallipoli in 1915.'

'So this is your ...' he paused to think, 'Battle of Iwo Jima?'

'Well, I suppose, it was the first time that Australia and New Zealand fought as independent nations - were like, you know, blooded.'

'Oh, I see - first time out and a big victory.'

'Well no, we endured eight months of fierce fighting against the Turks and lost 11,000 men between us.'

'But in the end a great victory?' he repeated.

I laughed and shook my head. 'Nah, we lost.'

'Lost! The American looked decidedly puzzled. 'You celebrate the defeat?'

'No, the blooding. We reckoned it was a draw. It was the first we fought under our own flag and we did okay. The Turks lost 65,000 men a Gallipoli, though of course, not all of them to us. We celebrate the spirit. The spirit of ANZAC.'

'Hmm...' He thought for a moment, then said, 'Okay, I can pay that.' Then he asked, 'If the New Zealanders are your buddies, you know, your brothers in arms, how come when we passed through the gun position of the New Zealand 16th Field Artillery they shouted abuse at you? Calling you a bunch of convicts and you yelling back with rude reference to their sexual activity with sheep?'

'Yeah, well, that's what brothers do, isn't it?'

'And you've invited the Turks, your enemy, to celebrate your ANZAC Day.'

‘We honour them as great warriors,’ I replied, but I could see he didn’t understand. ‘It is the spirit of ANZAC,’ I said trying once more to explain. ‘Respect for your enemy. Know what I mean?’ But I don’t think he did, nor for that matter, could he imagine the prospect of inviting a bunch of Chinese communists to commemorate the Korean War after this particular stoush was over.”