Apartment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by loudog, Feb 11, 2007.

1. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Opinions and ideas wanted!!

I'm graduating in May, and probably moving to Pittsburgh, where I hope to start a teaching studio, gig, and study trumpet privately still.

My girlfriend and I have an apartment picked out (we're taking over the lease of one of her friends). It is in the upstairs apartment of a house in the Shadyside neighborhood.

I need to figure out how I am going to practice. If at all possible, I would like to avoid having to "rent" a place to do it. I don't really want to buy one of those pre-fab practice rooms either. What I was thinking of is purchasing some soundproofing material, and SPing a corner of one of the rooms to play into that. What do you all think? Do you have any ideas? THANKS!!

Louie

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Make friends with the neighbors. Unless you spend all day practicing violently-unlistenable moden music, there's a good chance your neighbors might not mind. (I'm lucky enough to have neighbors who don't even mind the afore mentioned violently unlistenable modern music :D)

-Jimi

3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Yes, I do have a suggestion.
    You need a new product by dow corning (the pink panther mascot). It is an excellent sound absorbing panel used to line your basement and create a movie theater environment.

It is sold using an upper track on the ceiling and a lower track on the floor. There is an edge member to splice the pieces together along a wall. The panels provide for electrical cutouts and other wiring.

If you can't find it at lowes, home depot, or menards let me know and I'll try to find you some information.

I checked it out at a home show and couldn't believe how well it works.

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    My idea is probably unsuitable. I use a Wick practice mute.

Richard

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you even play half way resonantly, blowing into a damped corner will not help much (I have already tried it with, carpet, acoustic tiles, recording studio diffusers and sound traps - not suitable - too little change at trumpet frequencies). Of course you can practice at a whisper and build your playing on that basis. It is pretty tough building or maintaining projection and power at a whisper.
    A good practice mute, a cooperative pastor that lets you practice in the church a couple times a week for an occasional church service solo are in my opinion far superior alternatives. If there are several ensembles in the area, joining them will give you more time on the horn for "big notes" without the castration.

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i am in a two bedroom apartment, i use the room with no common walls and try to keep the time between 9 and 9. if i have to before or after or when she who must be obeyed has a migraine out comes the silent brass or trom-cor stealth mutes.

7. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  8. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    I went through the same situation at the begining of this semester. I came up with a plan that worked for me and my situation. I got a decent sized cardboard box and hung it on an outside wall in my room. I then stuffed it with some packaging peanuts and a blanket. The box is hung at a perfect height for when I am sitting. The neighbors say they cant hear me, and the only room you can hear it in my apt is the living room. For me this allowed me to have an open free blowing practice session that a practice mute did not. It is kind of a cheesy plan, but it worked and I can practice whenever I want.
    Josh

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Start with this web site.

Acoustic Flooring Membrane, Making A Room Sound Proof

KnightCelotex SoundStop Fiberboard

I went through this many years ago when I lived in apartments.

I ended up making a trumpet muffler after I damaged my eustacian tubes playing through a practice mute.

I used a #702 bankers box purchased from the local office supply store.
    I put two layers of 3/4 inch plywood glued to the bottom.
    I lined the sides with styrofoam. Then open cell foam rubber lining on the bottom and sides.
    A 5 tp 6 inch dia hole in the cover along with a 1 inch thick styrofoam backing inside the cover.
    Stuff it full of polyester batting.
    Set the box on a music stand, put your bell in it and blow away.

The sound absorbing panels for the entire room will work better in the long run.

Send me your address on a private message. I'll send you my trumpet muffler.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  10. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I have used this approach and it's an excellent solution. In the beginning I had to get there before the last staff person left... and then I would let myself out. Later they gave me a key which made life a lot easier. I could practice into the very late / early hours and never worry about volume. Plus, I felt that playing for the various Holy executives at their own home couldn't hurt... LOL

Good luck.... it's the only thing I hated about apartment living.