Apartment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by loudog, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Bob Odneal

Bob Odneal Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    I am able to practice anywhere because I warm up and practice at a ppp level with my method. At one time I felt like I had to practices loud. Now I realize that ppp practice balances out the FFF playing that you may get at the gig.

This is what works for me in a town house or hotel room. Just turn on the TV or radio.

I don't teach at home.

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    A lot of people have mentioned practice mutes or soft practicing. This is a good temporary solution, but you really need to work out some kind of arrangement where you can cofortable practice without having to worry about dynamics. This should not dictate how you practice, even if you end up having to rent practice space. Perhaps you could work out a deal with a local church to play a few free services every once in a while in exchange for access to facilities where you can practice.

-Jimi

3. conemaugh

conemaugh New Friend

Feb 15, 2007
    Georgia
    Louie,

I used to live in Shadyside (nice place) while attending Pitt graduate school. Perhaps you can arrange to use one of the Pitt practice rooms. You may have to reserve a room at odd (off) hours but it's something you may want to try.

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    These are all great suggestions. This apartment dweller will look into them also.

Richard

5. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    My theory for many years is just let it rip until someone complains. If no one complains then everything's OK. If people complain, then negotiate. Usually people are gone during the day. Pianissimo practicing is good for a lot of the time; if you're home during the day and the neighbors are gone you can play how you want.

Michael McLaughlin

Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.
    Albert Einstein

6. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

I ordered a sshhmute by Bremner last week after reading reviews about it and because of the great price I found it at. I hope this will help me out when I have to practice early in the morning when my family is still in bed.

7. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

Here's a link to the site also. Phil Smith even said that "this will be the one in my case…congratulations!"