aperture question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 79connvictor, Aug 6, 2008.

1. 79connvictor

79connvictor New Friend

Mar 8, 2008
    Illinois
    Hi all, I somehow way back when trained my muscles to play way off to the left. I play comfortably and can produce a pretty good sound with this mouthpiece placement. I had a teacher for a short time in college that tried to get me to start over and learn to play centered and he insisted that I use the 7C mouthpiece only. At that time it was becoming less important, I became frustrated and quit. Over the last couple years I've renewed my interest. I picked up a good horn and my favorite Schilke 14A4A. This summer I started determined to learn to play perfectly centered and was feeling ok about it. Then I saw a good player on television playing way off to the left and decided if it worked for him why am I working to change? I could instead focus my practice time improving on what I already have. I went back to what was comfortable and am now playing with as much endurance and range as ever. Is there anything wrong with this? Will this configuration screw up my further development?

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

In general centering is good, if it can be done without completely ruining playing,
    Basically, it makes the job harder for you, but if you can play, then you can play

3. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    The former principal trumpet with the Baltimore symphony orchestra Don Tyson played left of center. He played with a bent mouthpiece to look like he played in the center

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Charles Colins published a book caled Chops and had pictures from many great brass players. I estimated than only about 1% had "perfect" chops.

Weird.

5. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Yeah i play off to one center myself only a little bit but there are other problems getting in the way also.

6. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    The human body itself is seldom perfectly symmetrical. I've wondered if players that are slightly off-center are accommodating an unevenness in their teeth, or perhaps assymmetrical musculature in their lips. If the mouthpiece feels good to you being slightly off-center and you're satisfied with your sound, I wouldn't worry about it.

Honestly, I couldn't tell you right now if I play centered or slightly off-center. I just know it works where I put it.

7. 79connvictor

79connvictor New Friend

Mar 8, 2008
    Illinois
    Well thanks for confirming what I had hoped. I really just need to keep playing.

8. 79connvictor

79connvictor New Friend

Mar 8, 2008
    Illinois
    When did you first notice you were playing off center?

:shock:Did you want to say more about the other problems that are getting in the way?

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    79CV,
    if you are starting off new, I recommend to center. Why? Not because it works perfectly, rather you have lost the old habits, centering will add a bit of symmetry to the muscle and lip tissue use as well as simplifying use of the tongue and THAT probably will be of great benefit. It definitely will not hurt if you have a reasonable program!
    Keeping playing is always good advice, but you don't need to keep a bad habit if you are starting over. If you are booked up with gigs, it is a different stors. The same applies if you have achieved a great measure of competence.
    Play by memory in front of the mirror. Long tones, warm ups, slurs. It will not hurt!

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yeah, uhh, what kind of range, technique, sound do you have now?

I'm curious if your teacher wants to make these changes for change sake, or maybe beause you aren't yet good enough?

No offence intended, but here a story:

My favorite NFL quarterback of all time was Kenny Stabler with the Oakland Raiders. He really couldn't throw much more than 50 yards, was left-handed, threw some really ugly side-arm and under-hand passes while being pounded into the turf, yet was the most accurate passer in the AFL/NFL for a few years running.

Kenny earned that job, in part, by throwing left-handed sometimes ugly passes to his receivers while being pounded into the turf.

The ultimate question becomes one of you being good enough or not. Your teacher may be well looking down the road, and the changes suggested may well help, like a three-step drop and touch passes helped Kenny. (Trumpet teachers are kind of like coaches, ya know!)

None of us here can predict the future. Talk to your teacher--his vision might be of a different time-frame than yours. If so, that could be well more than cool.

And, uhh, off the record--freshmen girls in college are way cuter and nicer and fun to be around than most high-school seniors.

Sadly enough, being a faster-higher-louder Marching Band legend didn't do nearly enough for me that way, although it almost got me killed once, and NO, I won't tell that story! (It did involve a cute girl, though!)

If you are real serious about trumpet, and if you have to, this might well be the year to sacrifice!

Some great music awaits!

Just don't date the Drum Major's girfriend (the abovefore mentioned cute girl that almost brought me to my death). Dangerous stuff!

Have fun!

On second thought, become Drum Major!

Just learn to recognize the next generation of Vulgani, and keep them away from your girl!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008