aperture question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 79connvictor, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If it works don`t change it. Shape of you`r mouth teeth and muscle`s will determine where you place the mouthpiece. Maynard , Bill Chase, Roger Voisin all played off center and sounded pretty good to me.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Unless you are playing with an extreme Elgar pipe smoking embouchure (near the corners) i wouldn't bother. These embouchures i have rarely seen functioning well. If it is a bit off the center and you make a good noise, don't bother. It also takes a pretty exceptional teacher, and a great deal of time to make a successful embouchure change, and even then, there is no guarantee that it will be better than what you have.
    Embouchure changes are a risky business.
    However, you can improve upon your current embouchure by working on things like pedal tones, long tones, lip flexabilities, and tongue position. You would be very surprised at how these can improve the center of a note. Pedal tones are especially good for fattening a sound and improving the air focus.
    The key is patient intelligent practise. Unfortunately there are no quick fixes like this in brass playing.

3. 79connvictor

79connvictor New Friend

Mar 8, 2008
    Illinois
    The advice to change came from a teacher I had some 20 years ago. I guess I didn't make that clear. I think it probably just bothered him, and he didn't much like my schilke mouthpiece either. I can play double D's, and sometimes E's or higher big and loud. I sounded good enough to be designated improv soloist in one of the University jazz bands back then. Not bragging just saying. My biggest weakness has been my sight reading never my sound.

I think I have heard enough feedback to convince me that I really don't need to worry. Thanks :play:

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Learn to sight-read!

You can get some expert advice here at TM!