App, Game, Etc. for Rhythm and Sight Reading Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 4INer, Jan 3, 2014.

1. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    I've been looking for a good game or app to help with reading rhythms. I've found a couple of android apps, (Music Star, Rhythm Cat) Rhythm Cat would be great if there wasn't a delay in the beat recognition. Anyway it just seems to me in this day of electronic everything that there would be a game (Xbox, Wii, Playstation) to make rhythm reading in various time signatures fun. So I'm asking the collective if they know of any that are worth looking into..

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    FlashTrax has made a huge difference in my band. It is available through its creator, Randy Box. It was money very well spent. I wish I could find something similar for key signatures.

3. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Thanks, I like what I see on his web page and may be able to use this. It just seems to me that with all of the games teaching our kids to jump things, smash things, and kill things, that somebody would come up with a game that would actually educate, and something just like flashtrax but with an interactive component (like by clicking a game pad, or clapping in front of an X-Box connect camera, or tapping their tablet) that also kept score would be fun and educational. Throw in surprise rhythms to unlock secrets and/or gain bonus points. If I could program I think I would give it a try. IMHO it could be a big seller. Probably not as big as smashing zombies with transformers driven by Mario brothers, but still big enough to make a good profit......

4. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    I can't remember where I stumbled across this fingering/reading tool but it helps recognize notes and pick the correct fingering. Not really what was asked about, but still in the neighborhood of trainers for the eye/mind at recognizing what you read.

5. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Easy - play a high G at the Boss to make him explode green slime :-)
    You could combine that with "Trumpet Hero", a concept me and a YouTube acquaintance of mine thought up, where you have real notes onscreen you have to play [thanks to a clip-on mic and audio recognition software]
    much like Guitar Hero in that respect, but instead, you use your horn of choice,
    so you play some test scales/etc. before playing to give the game an idea of your sound and to prevent any recognition problems, and the offshoot has you battling various antagonists as Maynard Ferguson, Bill Chase, or an avatar of your own design, where you play various licks and literally blast your opponents...

Fast Clarkes, Arbans and "Through the Fire and Flames" could be some interesting options for Trumpet Hero :wink:

6. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    I'd buy it!!!

7. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Thanks! I'd make it and copyright it, then put it on SourceForge for free, but the only issue is that I'm not especially good with programming! :stars:
    However, this idea is completely possible because of ever-improving voice recognition technology and various electronics to connect to TVs and computers.

Like voice recognition, you do have to adapt to the technology you are using, but it ideally is intended to help you because it would instill the ability to switch styles.
    You would begin by having the mic set up as you usually would [whether it's on a desk/table or on a headset/clip on to the trumpet], then play a calibration scale/notes [like the pinpointing system for touchscreen games] to get the equipment used to your specific sound, but you can't go at your own pace entirely during the calibration [because the game can only go so fast, plus this helps with learning control, ish]
    When it comes down to playing, whether it's Guitar Hero format or Maynard's Boss Blast, the recognition system has to be fairly fast [programmed well with a good processor of course] in order to get the speed and timing correct, and the player can customize modes like easy/medium/hard music and none/medium/short time limits for a semi-personalized game. The "Pro" level would be even more strenuous, but you could perhaps gear it to "Range Pro", "Speed Pro", "Sound Pro", or "Full Pro" with everything at once.

I probably shouldn't be describing the idea this much, but whenever I think of a "good" idea, someone else somewhere else has independently thought of that, and it's hit market. However, I reserve some right to this, and the Internet Archive will have proof of my concept! ROFL

8. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    This disc could be packaged with various horn outfits, perhaps...
    "TrumpetMaster.com presents:
    - The Trumpet Master -
    Game 1: "Trumpet Master" [Trumpet Hero]
    Game 2: "Maynard vs. the Scream Machine"

For the player vs. antagonist:
    "Maynard vs. the Scream Machine"
    The premise has something to do with Maynard Ferguson's music and sound being put into a machine/taken through recordings by an evil scientist who is out to destroy the world or something big like that. Maynard speaks in various cutscenes with bits like many other video games.
    The player's job is to follow some instructions and play some music to defeat mini-machines that do the master machine's bidding.
    Guides like Doc Severinsen, Al Hirt, Eric Miyashiro, Bill Chase, and others are present in the game.
    The Boss challenge at the very end would be playing a High C/High G/maybe Double C intended to "overpower" [within the game; I'm not recommending anyone trying to blow their brains out with the loudest and/or highest note they could play!] the master machine and destroy/kill/eliminate the scientist. Depending on individual score through level/accomplishment, you can submit a screen-name with your score to an online list.
    A disclaimer at the beginning saying something about this game not being a replacement for correct instruction to ensure good technique because of "not a good idea to practice the wrong way", etc. is also necessary, but the final note would be "don't force it; just have fun" or the like, and this whole project is supposed to be a practice tool of sorts...

Enough mindless babbling on my part [gosh, I feel like an infamous Captain!]; any thoughts?

9. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    To get good fundamentals, the game could have a scale challenge using major and progressing to minor scales at ever increasing speeds and rhythms. And a Rhythm challenge having the player play ever increasingly challenging rhythms on a single note....

10. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Sure, although the only issue is, will the player know that the inside of their lip is buzzing and not the outside? [I knew a guy who played with his upper lip curled out, took lessons to help it, couldn't "seem" to correct nor notice his problem, so he quit lessons, then the director put him on Sousaphone]

The solution would be a diagram of "good" embouchure and a webcam feature where you can see yourself onscreen in comparison...

I like the idea a lot, though. Sure we may be extreme geeks planning a video game around playing the trumpet, but if they have games for just about every sport, why not music for a change? ROFL I take pride in my supposed "geekiness"!