App, Game, Etc. for Rhythm and Sight Reading Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 4INer, Jan 3, 2014.

1. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Hi. This may not have the "flash" or sex appeal of many of today's 'games', but I purchase a subscription for each of my students to "SmartMusic". However, the 'controller' is your actual instrument. It gives you immediate feedback on pitch and rhythm and when set up as an assignment, I (teacher) can listen to the performance and then can evaluate tone, musicality, interpretation, etc. Most major method books are all available, many pieces of traditional and new school literature is available for play-along .... Well, those of you who know, know what a wealth of material is available.

No I do not work for them and I see no kick backs.

IMO- best $40/year spent. I use it at work, my daughter and I use it at home. You can use multiple instruments....
    Yeah I could go on.

Regards,

2. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Are you using it on a Mac or a PC. I see they have an I-Pad app. Do you know if they have a Droid app. I'm considering a new laptop and am thinking a MacBook may be the way to go for musical applications..... Pretty cool that it works with Finale. So if you have the music in Finale and import it to smart music, are all the same features available?

3. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I've heard of the SmartMusic program, but it was terrible when I tried it years ago on my [junk] computer with "broken" mic input - I never tried it again, even though I bet it's improved a lot...
    but the input device to your computer still is a microphone, I would think [that's the exact same as the game idea proposed earlier - your controller is your instrument, but the input is a microphone]

4. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    My students use both apple and PC products including the iPad. There does not seem to be any droid app in the near future.
    Yes, you can create your own accompaniments. I have not done it but my co worker does it for his choir. Students can sing along or just listen to their part.
    Two other nice features:
    1) you can import any mp3 and slow it down with no pitch change. Great for transcribing.
    2) you can export your performance. Great for emailing to grandma.

5. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Another option would be to download Finale Notepad (it's totally FREE)!

Free Music Writing, Music Notation Software - Finale Notepad

Play around with it, use your mouse to enter notes on the musical staff. Create note patterns, arpeggios, rhythms, etc... Sight read it when you're done with it, and then click the little arrow "Play" button to hear what you wrote. It is excellent for understanding music composition, theory, etc...

6. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    I downloaded Finale notepad and like it. It certainly doesn't do everything I'd like, but it is something I can write exercises on with different rhythmic patterns to help with sight resding. I wish I could vary time signatures within the same exercise though. I downloaded a trial version of the full blown Finale which allows that (plus a whole lot more). But since I'm strongly considering a change from PC to Mac, I'm not ready to drop the bucks on it yet...