Appalachian Spring

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by gringoloco, Dec 9, 2005.

1. gringoloco

gringoloco New Friend

Feb 15, 2005
    Merida, Yucatan
    Hello Manny (and everyone else).
    We're doing Appalachian Spring this week and I was wondering if you had any advice on how to get the section from 48 to 49 to be precise. The conductor is in 2 and I keep getting thrown by the strings (and everything else). From the recordings I've heard (lots of them) tihs seams to be a pretty common problem. :dontknow:
    On a second note, the only time I've ever gotten a chance to hear you live you guys played this...and the Mozart oboe concerto with Copland 3 on the second half.
    What a great orchestra you have. Do those sound shields ever bother you all? Just curious.
    Que estes bien.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Rob,

I don't have the music in front of me but I'm guessing your referring to the syncopated section that goes between the two trumpets. Well, you have to have a good sense of how to do that in an orchestral context and you have to be able to do that syncopation pretty perfectly on your own.

You have to have a good interpretation of how to follow the guy with the stick. Once you have that, can you syncopate? If yes, ignore the strings and lay it down. It's up to the conductor once all things become equal to determine the best way to get it together. You really have to play very confidently and be able to hear the xylophone at the same time.

The huge sound shield wall came down shortly after that as we told the conductor we'd had it and refused to play with that nonsense anymore.

We still have the stupid shield around but it's nowhere near as bad as it was back then.

Igualmente, Rob!

ML

3. gringoloco

gringoloco New Friend

Feb 15, 2005
    Merida, Yucatan
    Thanks for the advice Manny. I was mainly curious about how you aproached that section. The show was tonight and we got through it well. We've played through that part with just the brass before the show and it was fine. I've been letting myself get messed up by looking too much and listening to the strings too much as well. The conductor is no help and I need to just accept it. It's frustrating when you're trying to help the whole band along and the guy with the stick has no ears and no chops. Oh well.
    Glad to hear you got rid of the plastics. They are such a pain. I don't mind the small ones behind people's heads but the big ones are the worst.
    I forgot to complement you on how great you sounded when I heard you back then. Man, you make it all look too easy. I guess that's the idea though.
    gracias otra vez y que estes bien.