Apple Garage Band Question

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Jimi Michiel, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I posted this in the lounge, but I guess that isn't showing up anymore on the main page so I reposted it here.

So I have an annoying computer problem... my friend and I are recording duets using Apple Garage Band and for some reason the file that we got is only in Mono. How do I get the recording to play in both the left and the right channel?
    Thanks,
    Jimi

2. oldtwoears

oldtwoears New Friend

Jan 19, 2006
    do u have an audio interface? or are u plugging a mic directly into the compter?

typically you will get stereo (or left and right) sound off of one mic...if you are recording in mono. if you are recording in stereo with one mic....then you will get only left or right. i use a tascam us-122. it has a switch you can flip to mono when you are just using one mic.

it may be that you need to flip a setting. or it may be that you need to buy a stereo mic. i will sell u my us-122 for $120 if u have an interest. i just got an M-Audio Project Mix...so I don't really need the us-122.

good luck.

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    we were using a mono mic with a mic amp going directly into the computer (1/8" jack). There's got to be a setting somewhere....

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    If you've got a mono plug, then it is "activating" or contacting both left and right contacts inside the jack and you'll only get mono. You'd need to run the mono mike through one input (either left or right) on a mixing box and isolate the output to either left or right before going into your sound card with a stereo plug.

5. tx trpt

tx trpt New Friend

Jul 29, 2004
    When you "create a new track" on Garage Band, you will see the window which allows you to choose an instrument icon for that new track. There should be a drop down bar in the lower right 1/4 of that window. The drop down choices include "Stereo". If that does not help, then it may be a mic problem.

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Thanks for the help, problem solved. I originally recorded it on one channel, which mixed me up. In the process of trying to get both channels going I accidently switched OFF a channel on my output, which meant that even after I fixed the problem it only played on one channel of my headphones. Computers!!! ARGH!!!!

So here's my next question, I'm quickly finding myself limited by GarageBand's lack of features and poor quality of some features (the added reverb doesn't sound so good). When I had a PC, I used a program called "CoolEdit," which has evolved into Adobe Audition, which is not available for Mac. Could someone recommend a better quality sound editing program for mac? I hesitate to say "Pro level" because I don't want to spend a thousand bucks and I'm not a recording engineer (yet!), but something I could use to record audition CDs, etc. Thanks so much!
    -Jimi

7. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007