Apple IPOD: Give me the 411

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by orchtrpt, Jul 10, 2004.

1. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    What do you guys and gals think of the Apple IPOD. I have been thinking about getting one. Who has one? What do you think?

2. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    and what about the IPOD MINI?

3. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    So no one has an IPOD?

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I don't have one, but I know people who do - they seem like neat little things. The iPod mini seems to be more expensive and less good! I'd stay away from it unless you're interested in having a 'cool' colour, or something even smaller than the iPod.

I heard a thing about them having batteries that die after a certain period of time, and needing to be sent off to apple to be replaced. Might want to check that out.

I know people who have other mp3 players which they claim to be better than the iPod (iRiver, for example). I like the way the iPod gells with iTunes (mac user here!) and the fact that you can turn it into a car-stereo system very easily.

I was thinking about getting one, but I don't have the cash to spare.

5. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I've got the first 5GB iPod. Get one!!

They're by far the best MP3 player out there. It's very tempting to look at those tiny little flash MP3 players that only have 128MB RAM for cheap but the iPod is worth the investment. I carry around most of my CD collection with me on it. It's around 6.5 days worth of music!

Other MP3 players can't compete with the capacity, interface, firewire, or size. I just took mine on a trip to New York and listened to it for about 6 hours over over 2 days without the battery dying. That's pretty good considering it's over two years old.

6. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Thanks for the help guys! Any other comments would be greatly appreciated. What is the best value for the IPOD right now? Which model? I don't really need 3 weeks of continuous music. Maybe just one :)

7. NMex

NMex Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Albuquerque, NM
    Apple Ipod

I have a 20G Ipod (3rd Gen) that I have owned for about 6 weeks now. Look on this websites for information www.ipodlounge.com. I have approximately 1800 songs (about 160 CD's) loaded onto my Ipod thus far and have not even reached 1/2 of the capacity. I use mine for music and to transfer information between the office and home as you can also use it as an external mass storage device. This feature has been more useful than I imagined. I don't carry my CD's around anymore as I also play the Ipod in my car with an Itrip FM transmitter. Sound quality is not as good as CD but - I have all of my music available to me, wherever I am (as long as the battery is charged). If you buy the Apple Care, you're covered under warranty should you have problems with the battery not holding a charge - for up to two years. I really like mine, but there are new devices coming available all the time. I think Sony has just released a device that is supposed to give the Ipod it's first real competition.
    Regards.

8. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    15GB iPod is $299
    -> $19.93/GB

20GB iPod is $399
    -> $19.95/GB

40GB iPod is $499
    -> $12.48/GB

So, it seems that the lower ones are quite close in value and the highest presents the best savings. Keep in mind that the idea isn't so much that you need 3 weeks worth of music...it's more that you don't need to update your playlists every day and can carry around all of your music collection at once. Imagine having 200 CD's on your hip!

I would buy the 15GB model. Plenty of room for music and you'll be able to use it as a portable hard drive.