Apples & Oranges

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by godchaser, Aug 31, 2007.

1. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007
    Finding a good teacher-

What should we expect?

What should we look for in a teacher?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A good teacher is like the father some of us had and the rest of us wanted!
    Patient, always wanting the best, and above all able to say "I have been there".
    A teacher with a performance record in the music style of your choice is not the whole answer but will get you at least much closer!

3. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Some additional thoughts....

Patience..definitely. Able to say "I have been there." But also able to say "You CAN do better than that."

Depending on your ability and level, you probably want a teacher that is going to address all aspects of your musical ability, not just the mechanical or physical aspects. Find a teacher that will not only teach you trumpet, but teach you MUSIC!

4. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007
    -Thank you Robin; Mr. Taylor. The clarity you both speak from there, must mean that all musicians have the same concerns. Apples and Oranges doesn't really apply. Which is good news, in that i was unteachable as a painter. It's very good to hear that the balance of listening to the teacher within, and being taught mechanics and music, is a working progression of trust and accountability. That stands to reason.

Which doesn't lessen my concerns though, about who i'm trusting to teach me - particularly my beginner-basics. I don't want any glitches in my fundamentals. ..None. Aside from good instincts in a teacher/student working together productively; maybe it'd be good practice to have video teaching to compliment the live teaching as well? A repetitive reference-reminder of what's being taught?

Can anybody think of any good video-tutorials for beginners?

Much thanks-

Chris

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The easiest way to see if a teacher is any good, is to attend concerts of their students. If there is a common denominator - effortless sound, technique, if you find your self tapping your foot in time with the music, the right things are happening. That doesn't mean that everyone will get along, but you are closer.
    No videos for any of my students!

6. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007
    That's good sense there Robin, much appreciated.

Possibly you and Wilmer should put a video series together, of your own?

C

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope! Not me.
    I thrive on interpersonal contact. TM is the only forum that I spend any time with. I even use the phone more than E'mail. Just something about reality that appeals to me - maybe I am just old-fashioned!

8. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

:D

Indeed; let's hope we all stay that way!