Appraisals

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nerf, May 17, 2009.

1. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Howdy folks,

I'm not sure if this is the correct spot for this question so if it's not...SORRY!! :-)

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on a good way to get a "proper" appraisal for your trumpet(s)? This is strictly for insurance purposes so the more accurate the better. I know that I could look them up & get the current retail price, but those "pesky" insurance people want something in writing. So, thanks for your help!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If your insurance includes replacing an instrument in case of theft or damage, a comparable offer from any music store will do.

3. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Check the American Society of Appraisers site, with particular attention directed to personal property- American Society of Appraisers - Personal Property

You'll want an appraisal that conforms to the Uniform Standards for Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP).

4. Hoosier303

Hoosier303 Pianissimo User

Nov 2, 2008
    Indiana
    USPAP is for real estate only

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I asked Monette for a current price list and gave it to the insurance company. I would think for a small fee you could have a music store do a write up for you. I did it with jewelry.

6. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island