Approach...universal?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by loweredsixth, Apr 24, 2005.

1. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    i think approach is mostly the same, with a few minor differences in articulation and such. But honestly, i think it is best not to really specialize, except perhaps gig-wise mostly becuase you NEED to play a variety of music
    our jazz ens played Riverdance last year, and another JE played Greensleeves.....meanwhile, our WE plays Leroy Anderson's Sleigh Ride every yr and you do not know HOW MANY of our players cannot play it well b/c they can't understand hte swing section!
    just my 2 cents

Emily

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    RE: Sleigh Ride

The "horse whinney" at the end takes a lot of practice to get it right.

Remember: it's a whinney, not a fart.

:-P

3. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    HOW TRUE Mikey!!

WB, who floats this board and posts on occasion (I did not use his full id but it should be pretty clear), has the most perfect horse whinney I've ever heard.

Last year in our annual Civic Music Christmas concert, he was unavailable, so I had to fill in for him. The first rehearsal we did Sleigh Ride right away. By the time I got done it sounded more like Slay Ride. That whinny is NOT as simple as it sounds.

With everything else I work on, it never occured to me that I'd have to practice something as simple as a friggin' horse whinney, but that's what I did. By the time the concert came I was ready.

And I nailed it. But only because I practiced the stupid thing like crazy. By the time I had to perform it, I played it every bit as good as WB, and that's saying a LOT. Because when he does it, you find yourself watching your step when you leave the stage for fear of stepping in something left behind by that horse you just heard...

4. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    [you find yourself watching your step when you leave the stage for fear of stepping in something left behind by that horse you just heard...]

RZ,

Glad to hear you're keeping up the long tradition of superb horse whinnys in Southern Minnestoa. Oh, and thanks for the kind words. I hate to say it, but I've never really practiced the whinny.

:play:

And I'm still scraping sh** off my shoes from those concerts.........

WB

5. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Okay...ONE person out there has not had to practice the whinney....

sigh...

That's why he can play three hours of lead and follow that up by another three hour lead gig with another group.

I'll promise you one double-G per night. AFter that all bets are off!

6. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    lol i had the best whinny in the WE this yr but i let some other kid have it....he never gets any glory...

man was i sorry i let him have it