Apps to read/annotate music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nastroichik, Sep 3, 2015.

1. nastroichik

nastroichik New Friend

Sep 1, 2015
    Hello everybody.

I'm a trumpet player and I'm looking for an IPad Android app to read and annotate music. It's for a professional use, something that is usable on stage and for teaching, to replace paper music.

I know there are apps like forscore or tonara but i'd like to have your opinion. What about the size, the access to good publishers? Ipad, android?

Have you discovered something good enough to replace paper music?

Thank you for your answers!

Nastroichik

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I currently use Orpheus on my smartphone, and have that one mounted on my trumpet. It's a free android app. I also use dropsynch to synchronize a folder on my phone with my PC, and will synchronize that same folder with a 10-13 inch tablet for practice/rehearsals so my music is always up to date.
    On itself using a tablet/phone is not perfect. You'll have to keep check of your battery, and probably carry around a back up powerbank or something, and have a customized / special stand for it.
    However, you don't have to carry around books anymore, and especially if you play in multiple bands you don't have to reorganize your trumpet case for every rehearsal / gig, because all the music you have is on there anyway. It's also no effort at all to have more than just your own parts with you. I for example have both the 1st and 2nd trumpet part of every piece we play on it. I usually play 1st, but I can jump to 2nd at any time if necessary.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    What's wrong with using Acrobat on a laptop? I currently have 4GB of sheet music stored and that's not including Arban, Cichowitz, Schlossberg etc. With the right version (e.g. Acrobat 8 Professional) you get all the mark-up tools you need and it's very easy to compile a bunch of different pieces into one file for, say, a structured practice session.

Page turning can be a bit awkward, but if you get a laptop with a touchscreen that problem can go away.

Also useful to have at least a basic version of Photoshop or similar to clean up poor scans.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    While there are probably better music reading apps out there (apps specifically designed for reading music via iPad) my band has been using GoodReader for a while. What's really cool about it is that it makes managing the files pretty easy via FTP. The bandleader is an arranger, so he has an FTP site set up, and when he arranges a new chart, he uploads it to the FTP server. Then, all we have to do is hit the "sync" button in the app - the app logs in via WiFi, and picks up any new or updated charts on the server, and you even get to choose how to do conflict resolutions if two charts seem to be the same.

Moving to this solution became a necessity once the paper books got big to the point of being unwieldily. I literally have about 500 charts in the trumpet book, so it has really cleaned up the stage look. I have my mic stand set up as a single stalk where I have my iPad on a mic stand clip, my vocal mic on the stand, and my wireless horn mic pack is clipped to a headphone hanger I also have attached to the stand.

For pulling up a chart, the folders are separated out - usually 2-3 letters alphabetically per folder, so when the song is called, I navigate to the proper folder, then navigate to the chart - it's actually faster than finding a chart in a paper book. The ONLY thing that is difficult are awkward page turns because you only see one page at a time. I could get a footswitch, but I've never felt like it was an accessory that I truly needed.

Anyway, yeah - try GoodReader.

Here's a rare pic from behind the band where you can see my setup with my iPad, the mic pack clip, and my main mic stand:

[​IMG]

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Subscribed as I am in the "looking" boat and technologically challenged. :oops:

6. some_blue

some_blue Pianissimo User

Jan 21, 2004
    Very cool. Can you tell me which ipad holder/mic stand clip you're using, as well as the single stalk and microphone? Is the mic stand collapsible? Love the idea of the ftp updates. I just managed to transfer quite a bit of music from computer to ipad; what a space-saver.
    Thanks!

7. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    no way I can see a tiny little screen. I'm afraid I'm stuck with the paper sized stuff.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's really not that small on an iPad. It's definitely larger than flip folder marching sized music.

9. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    If it's a tiny screen, move it nearer. :cool:

10. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    Or I could go all old school and memorize the music :shock:

I can see a chart kind of OK on a tablet but for actual score, I need my special glasses .