Apps to read/annotate music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nastroichik, Sep 3, 2015.

1. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    I just inherited my wife's old iPad 1st generation. I decided to try this as an experiment. I loaded the pdf's for one of the big bands I'm in and read them with iBooks. I find that the contrast on the backlit screen at least partially makes up for the smaller page. I really have no problem reading the music as long as I'm wearing my music reading glasses (lower magnifier puts the focal point about 2-3 feet for me).

I'm looking forward to the larger iPad coming out. I may spring for that one and get Forescore and a pedal.

-John

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    My setup isn't anything fancy. I prefer a round base mic stand because I like the smaller footprint. In that pic it was still a straight stand, but I've since added a short boom arm to make it easier to step up and sing backups while holding the horn.

Also, I didn't pick the iPad mount. That was provided by the bandleader, but this is what it is, and it's just one of a myriad to choose from these days. When I refer to my setup being on a single stalk, all I mean is that I have most of my electronics all attached to the single round based mic stand.

http://www.worshiptoolkit.com/site/mount-your-ipad-to-your-mic-stand-for-16/

[​IMG]

3. some_blue

some_blue Pianissimo User

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks. The iPad mount looks sturdier than the other ones I've seen. I'm gonna hunt one down... Thanks for the other clarification as well.
    Regards,
    Phil

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'll see if I can take a pic of my whole setup at the gigs I've got this weekend and get it posted - that way you can really see how the whole thing is set up. What works for me may not work for you, but it might at least inspire some other ideas for it.

5. some_blue

Jan 21, 2004
    I'll look forward to seeing your gig set-up. When I contacted the iPad holder site, they told me their device couldn't accomodate my air 2, Alas... I'll eventually figure something out. Mainly interested in functionality, portability, ease of set-up and durability... I've got a slight mobility issue, although every time I talk with a drummer, I appreciate how transportable my stuff is! Thanks again,

Phil

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Here you go, taken about an hour ago right after I got done setting up for the gig tonight.

[​IMG]

7. some_blue

Jan 21, 2004
    Very Nice!