Araldite instead of soldering?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xelaris, Mar 25, 2009.

1. xelaris

xelaris New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    I have enough spare parts to build a Getzen 300 from scratch...
    My soldering skills are below average and I'd rather try an alternative...I'm thinking of Araldite or similar.
    Is that a viable options? What are the pro/against?

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Araldite does not adhere well to brass or copper, good project to improve your soldering skills. PM me if I can give you any tips.

Stuart

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Yamaha uses epoxy now, but I suggest just practicing your soldering. It is an art.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The beauty of solder is the ability to correct mistakes and make small adjustments after everything is together. Epoxy is also a damping material. It works to put things together, probably will not give the best sonic results and make it harder to "fine tune".

I belong to the learn to solder camp!

5. xelaris

xelaris New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    All in all, it seems using Araldite is not such a naff idea...
    Regarding the difficulties in disassembling/reassembling parts joined with epoxy type of glues...I have a solvent specialized in loosening crazy glue, surely there must be some specialized solvents for epoxy too?! (Or maybe crazy glue can be an option).

The acoustic problem is something I've never considered...but there are so many types of adhesives out there...some electricians glues allows the flux of electricity (so they are conductive):

Make Conductive Glue and Glue a Circuit

Make: Online : HOW TO - Make and use conductive glue and thread

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Please SOLDER!

7. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Interesting... I'll make some experiments on epoxy adhesives to check how it works.
    BEST REGARDS !!!

8. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Not an exact correlation, but when I was in the Navy we used soldering iron's with a chisel point tip (junky ones) to melt and peel away epoxy from circuit boards that required repair. So heat does something there, but perhaps not without something to "scrape." I'd guess that you could break it down, but I'd also guess you'd have to get things much hotter than with solder, probably not the best solution.

I don't know anything about soldering a horn together, I've never soldered anything except electronics, but the nice thing about solder is when treated properly (not overheated, not moved while cooling etc), it sets a nice joint that can be reheated, moved, and reset without too much trouble. One thing I am sure applies is that you don't want to use too much solder, just enough to create a seal.

On plumbing, I know they use flux somewhat liberally, I don't know about a horn - someone should be able to comment on this, I am sure it would create a nice even solder flow, and it can be cleaned from the outside, but I wonder about cleaning flux from "inside" the horn, you'd probably have to have it chemically cleaned (whatever that process is) to get that out.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I had the thumb hook pop off my Schilke. I put it back on with super-glue, but it didn't hold very long (did it a couple of times before I got to the repairman). the repairman was less than pleased with me.

I vote for soldering too.

10. xelaris

xelaris New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    ROFL
    You didn't solder the thumb hook yourself did you?
    So you'd better say you are for PAYING for someone to do a proper soldering!

I've got the soldering tool and I'm tempted...but I've done a few messy jobs in the past with very simple electronic project (e.g. audio cable/adapters etc.)....with a trumpet I predict even messier results like overheating, unsightly blobs, burn laquer, other nearby joint getting loose (because I'm too slow and the whole trumpet would be at a near red hot point)...and hot solder dropping on my trousers :shhh:

I've got a neat solution though I'll have to wait a bit...I'll see my brother this summer, he's got some fine soldering skills :cool: