Arban #9 revisited and # 10 moved

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Aug 24, 2006.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

Well, folks, I re-recorded the 9th characteristic study by Arban this evening. I was going to go out, but I was not feeling like going out to a jam session in light of Maynard's passing, so I sayed home and worked on my chops and the re-recorded #9.

I used a different cornet (my old Arban model replica shepherd's crook cornet). I think this reading is a little more relaxed, though not flawless. I liked it much better musically than my original, so I am posting it again here.

http://www.myspace.com/NickDrozdoff

I moved the 10th etude over to my Mp3unsigned.com site. Here's the link.

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3ID=37522

I now have 1 - 10 recorded. I'll try to get the next four done over the next few days, then I'l begin re-doing the first seven. I'll keep the trumpet geeks among my friends posted! ;-)

As always, enjoy and feel free to download these.

Peace!

Nick Drozdoff

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  2. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Thanks for taking the time to record these Nick. These are tough exercises requiring skill and endurance. They should be practiced by every trumpet player, which can be hard to do if you don't have a teacher and don't know what these are supposed to sound like.

Maybe you could also post a written guide to some of the markings found within each exercise. For example, the symbol for the rolls and what a roll is. I didn't know until about two weeks ago that the little butterfly shaped figures at the bottom of exercise 1 were double sharps! I'm fortunate to now be studying with a top notch pro---but not everybody has that fortune. So, you might consider a 'guide' as a part of the project.

Thanks again for your hard work!

Bill

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Nice job Nick!

Who says you can't play jazz AND classical!!!!!!

And who says the Asymetric mouthpiece is just a high note trick piece!!!!

-cw-

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    All I can say Nick is wow!

I love your stuff man!

Best to you,
    John

5. NickD

NickD Forte User

Manual...

Bill,

ERIC BOLVIN HAS written a manual for the ARban book! I'm fairly certain he has posted about this here as well as on other forums. Do a quick search and you ought to find it.

Next, Tony Anrapa (I THINK I've got that right) has taken on the MONUMENTAL task of recording the ENTIRE Arban book - not just the Characteristic studies. Here's His site. He posts here, as well.

http://www.webalice.it/anrapa/Mp3/Arban/page11/page11.html

Finally, Clyde Hunt has recorded many etudes and selss them as part of his business.

For my part, I'm just having fun playing them and experimenting with the four cornets I've got.

OK, gotta run!

Peace.

6. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Thanks for the link, Nick! Whoever this trumpeter is, he really is doing something great for the trumpet community. The Suzuki Violin method is based on being able to 'see' the exercise and 'hear' how it should be played. The results of studying this way are unbeatable. Now we have the same type of thing for Arbans. Folks, go to the link, bookmark the page and get to practicing.

Tony--if you're reading this, thank you so much for your hard work!

7. anrapa

anrapa New Friend

Mar 5, 2006
    Italy, Torino
    I read this post JUST NOW...
    (I was looking in google how my website was ranked...)
    Thanks W Scott! It's a pleasure for me providing the trumpet community something that could help! (not everything is nice but day by day I'm re-recordging the bad stuff).

Ah, nick's stuff is on my website too! (beside my recordgins!)

Tony