Arban and Clarke Studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigBandBandy, Apr 10, 2009.

1. BigBandBandy

BigBandBandy New Friend

Mar 26, 2009
    Illinois
    O.k. after numerous suggestions to buy Arban's and Clarke's Studies, I went out and got both. Now, after numerous comments on my hitting higher notes question that I posted telling me not to worry about hitting higher notes as this will come with years of practice and just go out and buy these books, I am a little perplexed. Arbans and Clarke studies both start out with notes that I CAN'T PLAY!!!!!!! So, i'm supposed to use books that use notes ,right out of the box, that I shouldn't be concerned with playing????????? Arbans alone is $40 and it is really not something that I can use as a beginner. I'm a little confused!!!!!

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Clarke 1,2,and 3 cover ranges from low to high. Start with ones in the middle - C below the staff, no flats or sharps, and then work up and down until you get to where it is too high (or low, but not as likely) for you, then save those for the future as your range develops.

The same with Arban. Some exercises which extend past your range you can just play as far as you can go, and if they are scales or arpeggios you can turn around at that point and go back down (or up).

It is good to try to go higher or lower than you think you can - try 3 times, and then move on to something else if you can't. But keep pushing into new territory, and eventually you'll get there. Stay relaxed - that is really important. Straining will just hurt you.

Don't forget to rest as much as you play. You can practice fingering with the horn off your lips.
    veery

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I'm looking at my Arbans right now...
    What is your highest note?
    Arbans really isn't a chop buster and the first few exercises are really good for starters
    Really in all honesty if you can't play the exercise then don't try yet.
    Pick up a good Standard of Excellence book.
    That's what I started on, it's really good.
    Arbans for me is the bible, but I can understand if it's scary
    lol look at the back of the book, can you say crazy
    hope I helped a little
    Rowuk and others will have great advice on this for you

4. sayluvee

sayluvee New Friend

Mar 19, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Ok I am not really sure of your range is but don't worry it will come -
    For the clark book - the first exercise take and renumber starting on the second page
    13=1
    14=2
    12=3
    15=4
    11=5

and so on....... I play them as part of my warm up (after long tones) as softly as I can repeating each 4 times at a steady pace. Start in the middle working you way higher and lower - when you get to the point of straining/reaching for those higher notes - stop - as I use them as part of my warm up its pointless to blow your lip apart this early in the practice session. Other excerises will help you with range and flexiblilty - just remember slow and steady wins the race. This a a book technical studies - building your skills one 1/2 step at a time - it helps make all the melodic stuff you are playing better.

The Arbans book is a wonderful resource

Use some of the early studies (11-27) as flow studies working on good intonation/posture/support/controling your breathing

There are studies that focus on rythmic figures - this will help you not only in your general playing but SIGHT READING. (again play in the range you feel comfortable)

Studies that teach you how to double or triple tongue

Melodic studies that will help improve phrasing and interpretation

............and lots of articles about why all this is important

One thing about the Arbans you need to remember is that it is a resource that is used by beginners and experts alike - so obviously there is alot that you can use but there is going to be things you can't use yet - but will "grow" into as a player.

Unfortunately everyone who told you things come with years of practice were correct - and remember just playing does not denote practice - practice includes - long tones, techincal studies, flow studies, scales, and all those things that are boring (that should be about 2/3 of your practice session) but help build a better trumpet player. Good Luck!

5. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    I'm just now getting to be able to play even the easy stuff in Arban's. I've been reading it for a while, and it's given me many more ideas about what to focus on in simpler studies.

If your music store has a selection of books, I'd just spend some time browsing, maybe with a friend or teacher. Find some studies that are on the edge of what you can play, play through those, and work through up until you can play!

Good luck!

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    This stuff is a 4 part equation.
    You need a trumpet, music, you and a teacher.

It's very hard to teach this way. We need to hear you play to advise. Arban's is a good book. I use it and teach from it. The same for Clarke. You absolutely can play the beginning of the Arban's book. I don't care what level you are. My book starts out with whole notes.

My advise is to take at least one lesson. You can do a lot of this on your own but you need a start. Like an outline to follow. I recommend to keep taking lessons but at least one will point you in the right direction.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  7. Brasil66

Brasil66 Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2008
    Southeast
    :-o Tony meant to say 4 'part' equation, I'm sure.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    My quote is from Tony but I wrote the post.

Thanks for the correction before too many people read it.

9. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I thought it was an intentional blooper.

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I would suggest starting with something less rangy. How about a free web cam lesson?