Arban and Clarke Studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigBandBandy, Apr 10, 2009.

1. mrtrpt

mrtrpt New Friend

Sep 23, 2007
    Arban's is not a beginner book....

This often perplexes me when people think that it is just because it starts off with very basic exercises. Arban's is a "complete" method, meaning it is going to cover everything from the basics to the "advanced".

Just because the first page is whole notes doesn't mean that this should be the first book you buy.

The same with the Clarke book. Not a good book for a beginner. There are plenty of other books out there that have the exercises you would have to pick and choose from these books already sorted out for you. And this will save $$ too...

Beginners should be working on playing basic melodies that are pretty simple and played well. You wouldn't strap on a pair of ice skates for the first time and think that you are going to be in the NHL in a year...

-M

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I stated in sixth grade in the school band. In seventh grade I took private lessons and my first book ever was Arbans

3. BigBandBandy

BigBandBandy New Friend

Mar 26, 2009
    Illinois
    mrtrpt, I agree with you about this not being a beginner book, I have looked through the whole thing and haven't found anything that I can use at this point. I'm not sure y it is being recommended for beginners.

4. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.

Arbans and Clarke are what I would consider essentials for a trumpeter or cornet player at any level. The Arbans first studies are right down the middle of the staff and should be within the range of a beginner, these books should be used in conjunction with a teacher.

Spiritdci08 made a suggestion for a Standard of excellence book, that is as great idea. The Clarke and Arbans books will complement any other learning you do and are a lifetime investment as they are helpful in all stages of your learning.

Definitely get a teacher! this alone will do wonders for you particularly as you first start. your teacher can give you a solid foundation to build on and avoid some mistakes that can impede learning. Your teacher will know what you should work on and how to do it; especially at your level and adjust accordingly as you progress.

Like the Nike add says: Just do it!

All the Best!!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  5. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Standard of Excellence books are very helpful. They will take you step by step slowly building you range and musical reading/playing skills. They use music that most people are very used to hearing. So you'll be able to notice an error and missed accidental. To the best of my knowledge for trumpet they have only 3 books (Begginer, Intermediate, and Expert). They are very reasonably priced too. Just pick one up and slowly play each exercise in order. First playing them at 3/4th tempo, then at the marked tempo.

Another great book is called Foundations for Superior Performance. This book is really good for learning more about you horn. This book includes excellent long tone, lip slurs, and scale exercise. They include basic music at back and they show you how to tune to different music. i.e. Harmonic and Melodic tuning exercises.

And of course I'm a huge fan of all Clark and Rubank books. Rubank, just like the Standard books, breaks their program into 3 different books. They are very good and helpful.

It's going to be really hard to learn at a good pace without an teacher. Trust me, no on taught me, I did everything on my own. I'm paying for it now, at Drum Corp, this kids/college students aren't so much better than me but they carry great knowledge that comes with instruction from an instructor. They to find an monthly teacher at a reasonable price.

Hope this helps