Arban Method Breathing problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by iris186, Apr 29, 2009.

1. iris186

iris186 New Friend

Apr 29, 2009
    Hi, Ive taking singing lessons for the last couple months, doing breathing excercises with my diaphragm and Im making good progress with it. Ive only started up trumpet in the last week or 2, been putting off taking lessons, so just trying out basics, reading up, just to get some use out of the trumpet! (Ive had it for 2 years now, never got around to taking it up!).

So, I got a copy of the Arban Method book, and read through it, and got confused with a line in the introduction under "Breathing". "In breathing, the stomach should not swell, but rather contract in proportion to to the chest which expands." Isnt this the exact opposite of proper diaphragm breathing? I really dont understand, its the opposite of how Ive been learning breathing for singing, which is proper use of the diaphragm.

If anybody could help me out, Id really appreciate it!

thanks

2. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    breathing is breathing...take a breath and let it out...

add trumpet, repeat...

3. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Some people subscribe to "breathing from the diaphragm," and some don't. Try this, forget about diaphragm or not, forget about stomach or anything else, just stand up straight with nice posture/shoulders back so that nothing is inhibiting breath. Now breath in deeply and feel what happens, does your stomach go out naturally, or is it something you make happen when you breathe in? Now breathe out until you are out of air, no continue pushing air a little more? What happened? Where did you feel muscles working?

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi iris,
    Here's what I do, Think of a hole about the size of a tennis ball in the small of your back. When you inhale, imagine the hole sucking in air. This causes the belt area around the belly button to go out. Then release the air softly as you play. Most trumpet players exhaust their air too fast. Only use as much air as you need to play the note.
    A great DVD that's on ebay (as we speak) is Rafael Mendez Trumpet 8 films on DVD.
    One of the 8 films is Mendez giving a clinic which (among other things) talks about air use. I own this and its a killer, or better stated, Mendez is killer. Good luck

Pedal C likes this.
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    without a teacher, you need to go with what you have. Just take a BIG breath, do not raise your shoulders then play. Your body will take care of the rest. There is plenty of time for fine tuning once you have gotten past the "beginners stage". The internet will not increase your chances for success!

There is a bigger danger that other "important" things get ignored when you do not have someone helping you get started.

6. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Hold not your stomache in, but firm. Hold it (in firm, a little!) You have many gizzards inside you, liver, gall bladder, yuk! If you push (or hold) a stronghold with your stomache muscles, then, these muscles are "riding up " tension to the lower lungs". this increases compressiion, and air flow. If you imagine a baloon inflated, pinched nozzle shut, flattened on a countertop,against a wall, the balloon has some compressive support, and "help" as to which "direction" the air is to go. Tightening your abs limits the air going towards other directions than towards your mp. Hard to explain, but, we'll see how the thread goes, I can research more, this was off the top....

7. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Check out this YouTube - On Breathing for Trumpet
    video be Nick D. He posts here frequently. Perhaps that will help as well. The part I am thinking about begins about the 7 minute mark, but the whole thing is worth watching.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  8. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    This is good advise , too. You don't want to take a breath, and wait for time to play. Yo're ready to start playing the phrase imediately, and you'll want to learn to take enough air for the phrase, and not much more. Imroper breathing will leave one short winded. Some pieces will "get" to most experienced, all they can do, is practice, and learn where, and how much air to take in....it's never a pleasant thing to whitness a trumpet player pass out, but it can happen.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
    CHAMP likes this.
  9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If your breathing correctly for singing your breathing correctly for a brass instrument, Arban played a long time ago and many new improvements in the way we physically approach the trumpet have been made since then.

10. aerotim13

aerotim13 New Friend

Apr 24, 2009
    Rolla, Missouri
    I like this video. And he teaches physics? my kind of trumpet player...haha