Arban"s characteristic Studies help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrmusicnotes, Dec 27, 2008.

1. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Hi All, mY problem with these is while I can play the pieces in sections,I only can get through a couple of them without taking a slight rest.Is this a common problem with these and are there any spefic way of practicing them to help with the endurance?I am hoping some of you either learned or pick up from a teacher some little tricks to help in playing such studies.Thanks

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    How long have you been playing the trumpet. Do you have a private teacher?

3. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
  4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    There are no tricks to build endurance , just lots an lots of practice , long tones ,slurs, scales,etc. one thing that will help is to play these studies at a softer volume, loud playing will kill endurance every time.

5. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I think that this is fine... I can't go through all my pieces without a slight rest either.

6. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    I"ve been playing for 10 years and haven"t taken lessons for the last 5 yrs.I play for around an hour a day and kinda known all along that I need to put the extra time in if I want to play at the level I am shooting for.The last 4 days since I have had off from work I"ve been playing over two hours a day and already see a difference.I have made up a new practice routine over the last few days that consist of around an 1 1/2hr playing time covering all aspects of playing.I am really going to try to stick with it for my new years resolution.Thanks all for confirming what I new all along,you have to put the quality time in to get results!

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Sounds like you are on the right track The Arban studies are very demanding. with out seeing you play the only advice I can give you is: continue to play one section at a time. rest as needed. A soon as your embouchure feels rested continue through the next section, then the next, etc. try to get all the way through if you can. Do this at least 4 to 5 days a week. You should feel yourself getting stronger with in the first week. As soon as you feel able try to play two sections without stopping As you keep getting stronger you should be able to play all the way through without stopping. IMPORTANT! DON'T RUSH IT! your embouchure will let you know when it can continue without topping. let u know how it goes.

8. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Joe Summerhill is an old timer around these parts, and taught Booker Little when Booker was at the American Conservatory in Chicago. According to him,Booker was a fiend about the characteristic studies, he worked it up at one point so that he would play all 14 every day. Now that's a workout.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    When Maurce Andre audtioned formthe Paris Conservitory, They told him to play some Arban studies. Well he played them ALL 14! Wow!