Arban surprise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Got my Arban Complete Method over the weekend. I've been playing about 2 years but I wanted to start right from the beginning no matter how simple. I was surprised and a little disturbed that exercise 7 already used a high G and by exercise 22 it was high A! And some of these even had the fingerings still listed under the notes. So how could this be, that it's considered basic enough to include fingerings, yet the notes are already on top of the staff? Just seems like poor educational design, like including the word "fragmentation" in an ABC's book (well the first couple pages of Arban). Then again it's Arban - THE Trumpet Method! What gives?

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm roughly at the 2 year mark .... From what I understand, the Arbans isn't necessariy intended for beginners, but players who have at least some skills. I'm not sure then, why the fingerings are included at the start. I've had my copy for a while now, and use it regularly to rest my trumpet on.

Turtle

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    The horn looks good on top of it, doesn't it? Take a pic and frame it for the doubters.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Already did it, but with a cornet, since that's what the book was originally written for...:D

[​IMG]

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I think that instruction wasn't necessarily the same then as now. There's no reason that beginners can't play those notes unless they're told that they can't. After all, it has nothing to do with strength but proper technique. If you teach the proper technique to begin with, then those notes can easily be achieved.

I'm still playing the front of the book, starting with exercise 11 and going until the end of the chapter. It might seem to be easy to play but it is not necessarily easy to play well.

Tom

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The thing with the more difficult parts of the Arban book is, play the dense music as slowly as you need to to get all the notes. Once you have that down, then gradually increase the speed. Same with double and triple tonguing, and synchronizing your fingering with the multiple tonguing - start out as slow as you need to and work up to speed. Concentrate on the stuff in the book that you can't play. Repeating exercises/melodies you can play well won't advance your playing skills very much. Practice everything like you're performing it in front of an audience, and use a metronome to maintain a steady beat through both the easy and difficult parts of a piece. I don't know why the early exercises venture above the staff, but the rest of the method doesn't go much higher, either. This book has been edited quite a few times over the years, and I know some of the higher notes in the variatons in the back of the book have been added - they aren't in the oldest copy I own (the one in the picture).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Dale's right.

I just received a French edition that was acquired and mailed to me by a friend-who's-a-girl in France... the book itself has no publication dates, but has a handwritten 1907--1908 inside, so it's pretty old. :-)

Finding an even older edition may be problematic!

Tom

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I would be surprised to find out that JB designed it to be educational.

To me, it looks like an answer to the question how do I get really good?

When I was a raw beginner, Arbans was the 3rd book my teacher told me to buy. Had the two Edwards-Hovey primers before Arbans.

And I think Arbans, Clarke, & Schlossberg came together or hot on the heels of each other. Was a long time ago.

9. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    So a couple posts made it sound like Arbans isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be (other than as a place to put your trumpet on :) )? I took a couple trumpet lessons 30+ years ago and the instructor (and my trumpeter friends who took continuing lessons from this instructor) made it sound like Arbans was THE method book to have. Something tells me it's just one of the more popular, a very good one, but by no means an absolute essential.

10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I can't imagine not working out of Arbans.